Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 hub confusion

Okay. I have no idea if I'm just reading things and getting them mixed up in my head or what. I'm seriously considering wheel bearings as the source of my snap crackle and popping described in a previous thread so I'm just gonna replace them, and I am trying to read up and understand exactly how it all comes together.

Okay.. according to my copy of HKYSA, the hub/rotor assembly is held on by the stub, and once the caliper and axle nut are removed, the hub should slide off the stub shaft. If thats true, then if the axle is removed without removing the hub, wouldnt the hub/rotor assy just fall to the ground? If the caliper isnt unbolted from the rotor, would that keep the hub attached to the car?

Why am I asking such stupid questions? When I was doing my axle swap in the lot of CVO, I noticed that when I removed the axle from the hub, the hub stayed in place and never moved. I could even turn the hub by grabbing the rotor.. turn it just like the axle was still holding it in place. I figure if the caliper can hold the hub on if the axle is removed, then it should be difficult of spin the hub as the drag from the pads would be noticable.

Am I crazy? Do I need more sleep? Do I need to just get up off my tail and pull it apart and see what falls off?

My plans are to go buy a set of bearings and seals from AutoZone tomorrow morning, pull off the hub/caliper assy as one unit, and have my machine shop buddy remove/press them in. Hopefully that will remedy my crackling.. since its cheap enough for the parts..why not right?

what you experienced was correct. with the axle out, the hub/rotor assembly will be held in place by the calipers and the fact that it fits over the knuckle.

to do your front bearings:

(for each side)

remove axle

unbolt calipers and pull off the rotor/knuckle

pull rotor/hub assembly off

disconnect knuckle from steering

remove knuckle from the strut

if you remove the old bearings, be sure to hit from the inside out because of the ridge...

here is a simplified view....

ea81-knuckle.jpg