Ultimate Subaru Message Board

83 turbo wagon radiator: recovery?

I have noticed that the ea81t looses water, and found that the reason was that the radiator has a recovery type cap on it, but has no recovery system. Tried buyiing a non recovery cap, but they arn't made in the small size.

My question: Should this car have a recovery system? If so, where should it be?

I think I have the same thing. Is it just a short (6 in. or so) small diameter hose which goes nowhere and just lets overflow out? If that's what it is, I'm sure that you could EASILY pop in a longer hose and mount an overflow tank - you'd be set.

I'm not exactly sure how overflow tanks work (never had one) so, let me know if I just made a bunch of garbage up!

I think I have the same thing. Is it just a short (6 in. or so) small diameter hose which goes nowhere and just lets overflow out? If that's what it is, I'm sure that you could EASILY pop in a longer hose and mount an overflow tank - you'd be set.

I'm not exactly sure how overflow tanks work (never had one) so, let me know if I just made a bunch of garbage up!

Yep.. you're right on the ball.

I had the same deal.. 6" hose going nowhere. So, after I changed the gear oil in my tranny, I re-used one of those bottles. I jammed it down the side of the radiator and framerail, and added a longer hose that would reach to the bottom of the bottle. Voila! Instant overflow bottle. Havent been low on coolant since.

I have noticed that the ea81t looses water, and found that the reason was that the radiator has a recovery type cap on it, but has no recovery system. Tried buyiing a non recovery cap, but they arn't made in the small size.

My question: Should this car have a recovery system? If so, where should it be?

No.

So, with an overflow system, it's just a hose going from the radiator cap to a small tank. That's it? Does it create suction and pull from the overflow tank when it's low automatically?

And I suppose, all I need is some tank w/ a cap that has a hose going to it (or make one) - right? I guess that I wouldn't need an elaborate cap if I just made sure the hose stayed below the coolant surface in the overflow tank . . .

This sounds like a 5 minute project that will save me all the highway hours I spend pouring water into a piping hot radiator.

Damn glad I started thinking today.

(Thanks, RavenTBK)

So, with an overflow system, it's just a hose going from the radiator cap to a small tank. That's it? Does it create suction and pull from the overflow tank when it's low automatically?
Yep. Actually, pushes into the overflow tank when it heats up, and sucks back as the coolant in the radiator cools. Not necessarily when its low.

And I suppose, all I need is some tank w/ a cap that has a hose going to it (or make one) - right? I guess that I wouldn't need an elaborate cap if I just made sure the hose stayed below the coolant surface in the overflow tank . . .

This sounds like a 5 minute project that will save me all the highway hours I spend pouring water into a piping hot radiator.

Damn glad I started thinking today.

(Thanks, RavenTBK)

Now, by design, an overflow tank was not included. The Subie radiator will maintain the proper level of coolant automagically. The proper level of coolant is about an inch below the bottom of the filler neck...about 1/2 inch above the coils. If you need to add coolant to your radiator to bring the level above the core more than once a week, you've got other issues. The overflow bottle is just a band-aid to not have to add coolant as often. In a system thats without isues, the overflow bottle is not necessary, but it does extend the periods between topping off the coolant.

Its since gotten dark outside. I still went out and took a pic of my setup. You can see the hose from the filler neck, dropping down into the gear oil bottle. Simple, yet effective. Lookie below.

post-3439-13602759844_thumb.jpg

MSSLGECKO: I have just added an overflow tank to the ea81t. Not quite as easy as how ravenTBK did it on his non turb though, as there is no room down where he has his bottle. I ended up putting it under the spare wheel - let us know if you find somewhere better!

Well, there are like a million places to put it. I'll probably just pop some can/bottle in there when I drive back to school in a week, then find some tank later. I'll post a pic when I put a permanent one in, though.

If nothing else, the spare tire mount is definately the go-to spot for anything on these subarus. I mean, who needs a 5.2" diameter dougnut anyhow boozing.gif

Question: When I put it in, and make sure the radiator is at the right level, I DON'T put any coolant in the overflow tank, right?

Dunt know ifin it's a stock Soob part or not. But my '84 has one under the hood. Mounts to a bracket off of the jack holder. Looks like it was meant to be there really. Not original to the BRAT, as the bracket for the tank is White, and the BRAT is Blue.

Both the '82, and my old '86 had a jug stuck in where the jack was suppose to be. They were even identical in shape, not original equipment though.