Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Pilot Bearing?

Gonna rebuild the clutch on my 90 Loyale 1.8 spfi 2wd. From 1st Sub Parts.com I've ordered:

Disk ($61.50)

Pressure Plate (71.08)

Release (Throwout?) Bearing (17.96)

And a Rear Main Seal (11.08).

I ordered online. For my vehicle, it appears that a Pilot Bearing is not required. Checking Haynes, it looks like pre-1985 loyale clutches have a pilot bearing, and post-85 loyales don't. Can anyone confirm? Any other parts recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Pretty sure there was one in my '88 GL's flywheel.

I bought mine from http://www.1stsubaruparts.com/ Shiped fast and was the proper part. I'd order one for sure. If you dont need it then return it since it will be unused.

edit:

Digging around their site now I can't seem to find it.... that's weird. I know for sure I bought one from them for the '84 flywheel I put in with my 4WD tranny swap. I can look at my '88 flywheel laying on the shelf and see if it has a pilot bearing. I'll try to remember and look tonight.

Every one that I have ever done has had one.

Just did the clutch in my son's 91 4x4 5speed and used a clutch kit from a local supplier (Bow-wow) and all their subaru kits come with 5 pieces.

Disk

Plate

Throwout bearing

Pilot Bearing

alignment tool

Cost to me was around 125

Hush

Thank you MorganM, archemitis, hush777. Consensus is to get one. I'll buy one from the dealer. Morgan- thanks for double-checking the 1stsubaruparts site. That's where I ordered from, and that's why I was checking with you guys. They don't seem to have or list the pilot bearing. Thanks again.