Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Carefully Prepped EA82 Pistons

Radiused valve reliefs

Thermal barrier coated dome to spread piston heat distribution (and chamber heat distribution...perhaps less cracking).

This bugger seemed knock prone to begin with...and I took .010 off the block to bring piston->head to a minimum (more effective quench, better burn)...but I was concerned about the additional heat in an already borderline combination.

Moly coated skirts to tighten up piston->wall clearance after honing to reduce piston rock (scuffing wasn't bad when I took it apart...but it was not as good as the EG33 i went into). They also "hold" oil to reduce (in my experience totally eliminate) damage from cold starts. I'm looking for a zero leakdown 200k miles out of this.

Just an inexpensive step that makes things better.

Very Nice I am sure those will do great! Look what I put back into mine and it actually ran, albeit I cleaned them up a bit. But life got in the way and all I gave them was a little bit of sanding and slapped them in there. Curious how much did it cost to rework the pistons Awsome!!! Kicking myself for not spending more time. These are in the 86 wagon in the sig

306175-7556_IMG-med.JPG

306175-7553_IMG-med.JPG

306175-7533_IMG-med.JPG