Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gsr problem

Merry Xmas and a happy new year to everyone. Well we have a we prob with the gsr. It was going magic then a reaccuring problem came back. It fixed itself last time but has us stumped as to what it is. The car has a slight missfire or backfire and surges at low revs. And it has a pre-ignition problem when you turn it off. We think it is the following combined (timing,fuel mixture,or a worn distributor,)Does anyone have any other ideas as to what it might be.

Thanks Kevin

could be a worn ditzy. check the other things first then check the diztzy what size motor is in your car 1400 right, if you cant find a ditzy for it or the parts i maybe able to help as i have a 73 wagon with a ditzy in it. is yours the 1400 with dual exhost ports? or the single coming out the bottom, (Sorry getting off topic i was just wondering.) you may try swaping in another coil also, ive seen some wieard things with them when they get old..... anyway good luck.... let us know how it gos.

oh yea what other old suby did you pick up i remeber seeing some pix but dont remember details....

Well the motor has just been fully reconditioned and hasn't done to many miles to have to much carbon build up. Thanks anyway for your input. Problem still not solved. HELP!!!!!!

Maybe excessive carbon buildup in the cylinders or other hot spots?