Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Crankshaft Seal and other leaks - HELP!

Hi all. Has anyone ever changed the crankshaft seal on their EA82? Once I have the timing belts off, how do I get the crankshaft gears off and get the seal out?

Also: My oil leak might be coming from the oil pump. I changed the o-ring and mickey mouse gasket. Should I torque this thing onto the block? Should I apply some sort of liquid gasket material during install?

Thanks.

well there are three seals in the oil pump first off.

the micky, they oring, and a little seal like a mini front crank seal just behind the gear that turns the oil pump.

as for the crank seal the gears should just pull off by hand or with a little help from a screwdriver. you may have to rent a puller from checker or autozone or somthink like that if you are in a rusty zone and they have rust on them(unlikely if your seal was leaking. also on the oil pump make shure you torqe it to speck as i remeber it was like 13lbs or something for the little 10mm bolts that hold it on. you dont want to strip them out..... you can use a screwdriver to pry out the seal on the crank and then use a big socket to put it back or some very carful tapping with a smaller socket in a circular pattern.....

anyway hope that helps some...

later

brian

For the oil pump: the first time I used a lot of liquid seal around the mickey mouse. I don't recommend that now. If too many seal is added, than the pump's surface doesn't fit well to the engine block's, so my mickey torn after some turns of cranking. After that I used only 4 little points of the liquid, at the ears and at the bottom of the mickey-head. That helped, the gasket was nicely stayed at it's place and the surfaces met perfectly, and oil leaks gone.

The crankshaft seal: I didn't change that yet, it wasn't needed, but it seems very easy. If you have the pulley and the timing belts off, take off the two sprockets (the manual says they come off by hand), and then you can pull the seal ring off with a bent screwdriver. Be sure to fit and install the new seal perfectly, it can be seated wrong easily, and you can start the whole thing from the beginning.

Hope this helps.

those sprockets are no match for a crow bar or wedge. just be careful not to damage the aluminum block. slide them off and replace the seal.

behind the oil pump - at 12 oclock and 6 oclock you can see very faint lines where the two halves of the block come together. this is the only place sealant needs to be used. use a very small amount to fill in the cracks around this mating area of the block. i use a dab of grease to hold the mickey mouse gasket in place.