Ultimate Subaru Message Board

"carwash" wax on windsheild removal???

I took my legacy to the automatic car wash the other day and they sprayed some sort of clear coat /wax on my car and windows. It was like tie die foam. It was pink, blue and green. Ever since then my window looks like it has grease on it. Rain just beads up on my glass, the wipers just smear the water, and the wiper fluid does squat!

Anybody have an idea how to get my windows super clean? I tired windex.....NADA!

Think "purple stuff" degreaser would do the trick?

I will give that a try. I think I have some of the fantastic orange smelly stuff in the garage...... Now I will be ab le to see and the car will smell good too.

If all else fails I am trying the purple stuff.

I'd try some of that orange cleaner on a paper towel. I prefer the blue ones you can get at auto parts stores. I'd then use a Dobie Pad on the glass. Don't worry it will not scratch. It's made of nylon. Dobie pads are for washing dishes, etc and are available on the dish detergent aisle in the supermarket. Then wipe off the rest of the orange stuff with paper towel wet with some water.

Then go over the glass with Stoner Invisible Glass. It's THE BEST auto glass cleaner out there.

~Howard

I usually just hose the salt off my cars, but I took my Subie to the car wash last week. Same "tie dye" wax (good name for it!) as you mentioned.

That stuff is nasty, whatever it is. It reminds me of silicone grease. After trying a bunch of things, I finally grabbed some paint prep solvent - it's supposed to remove everything, including silicone. Got most of it, but the windshield is still a little smeary. There may be some wax left on the wiper blades, getting back on the glass.

I won't be going to that carwash again!

HA!! Armorall on the guage cluster...I never! Well maybe once...or twice...uhhh nevermind!!

THanks for all the tips guys.

Armorall is some amazing stuff. At work (I fill vending machines and do delieveries of vending machine product) I use armorall to get white haze off the black plastic on the coffee and sandwich machines. I've use everything else and nothing will get it off and shine like armorall.

The simplest, cheapest, non streaking and most effective window cleaner I've ever used is white vinegar diluted 60/40 with water. Google it and you'll see all the testimonial the web has to offer.

I have tried that and agree 100%, but the smell of vinegar gags me. Take it one step further, try drying it down with newspaper instead of paper towels... there's something in the printer's ink that really makes the glass look clearer! Maybe it fills in all the tiny scratches with black and reduces the refraction of light from them? They sell those black pencils to "repair" scratches on eyeglass lenses... could be the same principal? The newspaper doesn't leave lint behind either.