Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sexxxay....

WJM

I might be crazy, but that looks like a tercel wagon.....

Hey whats an RX 2? post 91 Rx?

The RX2s were the RX's the we got in the USA, they were known as the second generation RXs in Japan.

Here is a shot of the 87 Subaru Rally team that was prepared by the group that would later be known as STi. http://www.corkysrocks.net/020615_rx_rally_squad_1987.jpg

And here is a photo of the first gen RX at the Safari Rally in Africa

http://www.corkysrocks.net/1stRX.jpg

man....why didn't they Prep Sedans??? They are stiffer, lighter, and have better balance

because the 3-doors 'look racier'. :rolleyes:

I get ALOT, as in TONS, more attention with the RX 3door than I EVER got with the wagon...except when the wagon was all decaled and oud as hell...but still the RX captures all. :o

man....why didn't they Prep Sedans??? They are stiffer, lighter, and have better balance
Stiffer?? two large holes in the side versus one, lighter??? two more doors with window and latching mechanism in them, better balance??? how do you figure, they both have the same wheel base and track, what make the sedan better balanced???

Did you see that steering wheel (hell and the interior too??)
Think that's wild? Check out this stock steering wheel

Couple that with the control pods that come out from the column on stalks, the digital dash, and the joystick type shifter and it becomes pretty clear what Subaru was trying to capture with the interior styling of the wedge-mobile. The exterior was equally extreme and contributed to its having the same drag coefficient as a 2005 Z06 Corvette... in 1985!!! :cool:

A lot of people hate the "L" shaped wheel, but I like it for its "WTF?!" factor. :)

Stiffer?? two large holes in the side versus one, lighter??? two more doors with window and latching mechanism in them, better balance??? how do you figure, they both have the same wheel base and track, what make the sedan better balanced???

The Sedans are alot stiffer in the rear because of the rear parcell shelf and all the metal pieces back there.

The coupe glass weighs a TON! and the rear end flexes a PILE!!!!

If you look up the curb weights the sedans are like 50 lbs lighter than the coupes.

And when pushed hard. the Sedans just handle better..i can't explain it. they just do!

And you guys can have all the looks you want...I'll take the lighter Sedan anyday

ive noticed the hatch creaked around quite a bit on the dragon and skyway runs at the NASIOC Dragon meet...

Still, it handles better than the wagon with the exact same setup on it. *shrug*

Ive never owned a sedan....YET.

The Sedans are alot stiffer in the rear because of the rear parcell shelf and all the metal pieces back there.

If you look up the curb weights the sedans are like 50 lbs lighter than the coupes.

And when pushed hard. the Sedans just handle better..i can't explain it. they just do!

And you guys can have all the looks you want...I'll take the lighter Sedan anyday

Gee, I wouldn't say the rear glass weighs a ton, I can lift it, in fact I have to keep moving one around from time to time (a spare one I have laying around), I have also lifted sedan doors, and I'd say the two sedan doors weigh more then the rear glass. What good is a piece of metal across the rear when the whole frame flexes more, anything you gain from that is lost in body twist. Besides, if you are going to race the coupe, you'd brace that anyway. I forgot to check the weights last night, but 50 pounds can be made up in just the weight of the driver, and those weights are for a production car, if you were racing them, a lot of production weight is removed. I wouldn't be surprized if the rear glass on the Subaru rally cars wasn't glass at all, but plexiglass. Since I had had and driven hard both a RX 3dr and a GL-10 turbo sedan with RX suspension, I would say, in my opinion the coupe handles much better. I think Subaru felt the same way or they wouldn't have changed for the sedan (85 and 86) to the coupe (87 to 89).

Couple that with the control pods that come out from the column on stalks, the digital dash, and the joystick type shifter and it becomes pretty clear what Subaru was trying to capture with the interior styling of the wedge-mobile. The exterior was equally extreme and contributed to its having the same drag coefficient as a 2005 Z06 Corvette... in 1985!!! :cool:

A lot of people hate the "L" shaped wheel, but I like it for its "WTF?!" factor. :)

Hey Austin, I'm right there with you on this one bud. :drunk:

I don't want to second guess anyone, but I agree for all the same reasons. the sedan is a "3 Box" structure while the coupe is a "2 Box" structure. By that I mean that you have the hood and fenders making a box, the cabin making a box and in the case of the sedan, the trunk makes a box. Coupes have a HUGE hole in the back of the cabin that makes them very prone to twisting. Just think about it for a moment. Glass has practically no structural integridy. A good example is cardboard box that is fully closed up is much stronger than one with one end open. We talked at length about this in a few of my auto classes over the years. Yes you can add bracing, but if you start with an ultimatly stiffer design and add the same amount of bracing, the sedan will still be stiffer.

I don't want to second guess anyone, but I agree for all the same reasons. the sedan is a "3 Box" structure while the coupe is a "2 Box" structure. By that I mean that you have the hood and fenders making a box, the cabin making a box and in the case of the sedan, the trunk makes a box. Coupes have a HUGE hole in the back of the cabin that makes them very prone to twisting. Just think about it for a moment. Glass has practically no structural integridy. A good example is cardboard box that is fully closed up is much stronger than one with one end open. We talked at length about this in a few of my auto classes over the years. Yes you can add bracing, but if you start with an ultimatly stiffer design and add the same amount of bracing, the sedan will still be stiffer.
Don't tell me Dr. Seal told you that. What have you been smokin??

I still like the GC8. ;)
Hate to sink you boat, but a GC8 is the designation for a WRX, both 4 and 2 dr models, the 2 dr would be GC8X2, and the 4 dr GC8X4, with the X being the year/series designator. For example a 97 WRX STi Type R would have a code of GC8D2. In the USA 2 drs have the model code of GM and are usually GM6s, in the USA the code GC is for the 4 dr model. If you have a RS, check it out, I'll bet the code is GM6....

why would the coupe be stiffer?
Gee, maybe because there are less large holes in the side, maybe because the roof and side pillers are beefier to support the rear hatch actting almost like a roll bar. I really could tell, I just know from personal experience that teh coupe feels stiffer. Now if someone what to do a structural analysis on the two body styles, by all means do it. But don't go into the test with a bias.

I have yet to drive a car with a more perfect steering wheel than my XT. Regardless of what people think it looks like, it works so well and feels so good I wouldn't dare change it.

got some vins to back that up DR....? I keep hearing GC8 is sedan only and GM8 is coupe only....?
Gee, my 96 Imreza coupe is a GM6, the 8 is usually the the code for the WRX world wide. If you see an Impreza, ask the owner if you can check the code. Let me know what you come up with.