Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gas dissapearing

The gas in my tank seems to be bewitched to disapear faster than anything can consume it. It is a 92 loyale wagon. Now, the car does only like 1mi trips each start, but it only does like 14 trips a week, mabe 20. I can pour 5 gallons in and the car runs out by the end of the week. It isn't dripping, It isn't smelling, there are no wet spots on the underside of the car, and it isn't belching black smoke while its running. I can't for the life of me figure out where its all going. Its like i can see the friggin needle drop as I drive the thing.

is the gas cap tight or leaking?

start it and go stand by the exhaust pipe, is it dripping or notice a gas smell? probably won't drip as it will likely evaporate but maybe if it's enough it would.

let it idle awhile and pop the hood....stand there and smell for gas and look for leaks.

after letting it idle awhile crawl under the car and look at the fuel pump. they can leak but work perfectly fine.

I had something similiar going on with my Loyale before I parked it. The mileage seemed horrible all of a sudden... and I noticed a smell of gas when I got out of the car.

I inspected the car several times several times before I caught it... if I checked it out before I started it up, or when the engine was idling after a start, it wouldn't leak. Once I drove it, stopped, started back up, and revved it a bit, I found the leak.

The fuel pump had sprung a small pinhole leak on the outlet nipple... it was covered up by years of NY rust, so it wasn't very evident at idle, or when I first started the car up. Dumped it after it was warmed up & rev'ed though. Makes me wonder how much the fuel pressure changes...

Anyhow, if you can't smell anything, and nothing appears to be leaking, I'd run it through the standard tune-up stuff first.

How's the performance on it?

And are you sure a neighbor hasn't found a way to siphon it? :banghead:

Dont try to "look" at the fuel pump on your 92, i believe its in the fuel tank itself, but all in all, check your hardlines and softlines, and grab yourself a new fuel filter while your at it.

~Josh~

Sorry, but they are in the same place as all other L - cars. It's just ahead of the right rear tire. Legacy and later models have them in the fuel tank. I don't know where they are on the Justy.