Ultimate Subaru Message Board

fuel consumption vs tire size

Do any of you calculate how far off you odometer is to get a corrected mpg. Several years ago I had 195/70/13 tires .5 inches over stock, 29-32mpg. Then got 185/80/13 that were almost 1.5-inches over stock 27-29mpg and occasionally would bump 30mpg speedometer was 10% off, 50 gave me 55mph. Now run 195/75/14 and 47 gives me 55mph and mpg is roughily 25-27 but odometer is off by roughily 15%. So you could figure 26 mpg times 1.15=29.6mpg. No real change so to speak, but in the case of 27-29-inch tires a person probably would loose 1-2 mpg if corrected for odometer being off just due to their size. Of course with an auto I would say it would be a no go situation or not very fast anyways.

Hmmm then it prolly isnt as bad as I thought.

I really dont care what my milage is. Thats kinda what I was getting at. Big tires arent for commuting and saving MPG. They are for offroading. :drunk: I could be getting 8mpg and I'd still run these tires. I'm no stranger to 8mpg town / 15mpg highway... buying gas every day... ugh, big blocks with 4barrels :rolleyes:

Hmmm then it prolly isnt as bad as I thought.

I really dont care what my milage is. Thats kinda what I was getting at. Big tires arent for commuting and saving MPG. They are for offroading. :drunk: I could be getting 8mpg and I'd still run these tires. I'm no stranger to 8mpg town / 15mpg highway... buying gas every day... ugh, big blocks with 4barrels :rolleyes:

unfortunately I have to think about fuel consumption :[ I'm on a REALLY tight budget and it would be my only vehicle