Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil leak for novice diagnosis

I just cleaned my engine to find an oil leak and found it. I just need to know what I am looking at.

I have an 85 1.8L 4WD non-turbo wagon. OHC. The leak is at the base of the oil fill tube, less than an inch to the right of the base. It is a line that runs straight back and forth. The sparkplugs are on the opposite side of the bead of oil from the base of the oil fill tube. What kind of gasket is this?

Here is a picture of an engine without the intake manifold and sorry that if its from the rear. But it should help you understand where the leak is coming from.

The head gasket that is shown seems to be to far away from where you described so I'm not going to cover that one.

The cam housing mating surface is just that, Where the cam shaft housing attaches to the head. This surface is machined and only uses a small o-ring for oil control and an anearobic sealing compound (ask at a parts house and they will know about it). This a little bit involved in fixing.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru_manual_scans/1980_Subaru_Manuals/EA82_-_Service_Manual_Part_1_of_2.pdf

shows how to do the fix on that, and parts are usually available at least through a local NAPA store.

The link also shows how to do the cam seals, crank seal, timing belts, and valve cover seals, which you might want to do while you are in there.

Other things to think about are

1 How many miles on the timing belts right now (replacement recommended at 60k miles).

2 How long since the water pump was replaced.... Easier to do now than having to tear everything apart again to do later (usually around $40).

3 Is there any signs of leaking around the oil pump, or any TOD (Tick of death, or lifter noise).

4 How are the timing belt tensioners and idler, any play in them or nasty noises and they should be replaced.

All of these things are easier while you are in there, and make the engine last longer and be more reliable.

Hush