Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what does ecs mean?

I saw something similar on my friend's '89 Ram Charger. Just a little red light saying "Main. Req'd", activated by a timer off of the odometer. Nothing really major, just a handy little reminder saying that routine service is coming up. If you can't reset it by the way described above, you can fix it with some good old electrical tape. :D

I'll pull the bulb, lol, planning on pulling the guage cluster out to paint the guage surround anyway

I saw something similar on my friend's '89 Ram Charger. Just a little red light saying "Main. Req'd", activated by a timer off of the odometer. Nothing really major, just a handy little reminder saying that routine service is coming up. If you can't reset it by the way described above, you can fix it with some good old electrical tape. :D

The easiest way to disable it in your case would be to snip the wire comming out of the computer or remove the bulb. I would suggest removing the bulb, because it is easier to undo when (and if) you get a new computer. I do not know off the top of my head what color the wire is, but it will be in your FSM/Haynes manual. In my case I have to run a wire from the computer to the CEL because I added the FI system on.

some one with a ea 81 , can answer this better , sitting in the car , right above your left knee there is a piece of panel ,that should pop out , and above this there is connecting wires , something about, key on postion , connect wires , turn key off unplug , this should clear this up

try checking the EGR. there is a solenoid that looks like this; make sure its working, hoses look good, or egr valve isnt bad.

http://www.warpthree.com/milesfox/parts/100dollarpart.jpg

read this too

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=28912&highlight=solenoid

my 86 sedan does it, but if i turn the car off then back on it goes away. when it comes on by itself it goes away off and on

I've seen several ways of stating the term ECS. The most descriptive I think is, "Emission Control System", others are "Engine Control System" and "Electronic Control System". The system is ultimately there to control emissions and shouldn't be ignored when the light is on to warn of a problem. Checking the stored codes in the ECU to see what is causing the problem should be done.

In some states that require an IM test, that light must work or the vehicle won't pass inspection.

egr, hmm, you mean like where it hooks to that big U shaped deal on the exhaust pipe maybe? theres no exhaust on the car right now

lol

try checking the EGR. there is a solenoid that looks like this; make sure its working, hoses look good, or egr valve isnt bad.

http://www.warpthree.com/milesfox/parts/100dollarpart.jpg

read this too

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=28912&highlight=solenoid

my 86 sedan does it, but if i turn the car off then back on it goes away. when it comes on by itself it goes away off and on

"EGR" stands for "Exhaust Gas Recirculator." It does exactly like it's named: It takes the exhaust gases and puts them back into the intake, trying to burn any remaining fuel left in the exhaust, simply saving fuel economy. I think all cars have those now, but they were pretty prominent through the mid to late 70s.

THe egr system's purpose is actually to take some exhaust gas, recirculate it in order to lower combustion temperatures and decrease the levels of oxides of nitrogen in the exhaust (ie emmisions thing).