Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear Quarter Panel Replacement?

Ok, I have two bad rear quarter panels on my '86 GL10T...how hard is it to remove the panel (i.e. from a donor car), and perhaps more importantly, how hard is it to reinstall this body panel? I did a search on this and didn't come up with much. My rear quarters are all pock-marked from door dings and I'd like to get them replaced so it looks somewhat new after I paint the car ! Thanks all!

LC:

Wagon or Sedan?

To my knowledge, no one is reproducing the wagon rear quarters. But if you have the sedan, Mills Supply in Cleveland has them.

I have done rear quarters on EA82 wagons a couple different ways. On my 86, I used a pair of rust-free panels from a Board Member from the west coast. I also installed new wheel arches and rocker panels (from Mill Supply). Getting the panels attached wasn't too bad, but there is a fair amount of putty work involved. End result: Excellent

On my 89, I fabricated panels using common and inexpensive materials. For example, I used metal framing ties (building material) to reconstruct certain areas, and also HVAC galvanized panning metal. Fabrication was a bit time consuming, and there was quite a bit of putty work. End result: Good

I would not recommend either of these methods if you've never done body work before. But if you've taken sheet metal in high school, and have repaired plaster walls sucessfully, you can probably handle it. You'll have to invest in some decent metal tools.

good luck, John

After re-reading your post, I have to question whether you even need to replace those quarters. Unless, you have serious body damage, or major rust, you may be able to repair what you have. Replacing the quarters should be your last resort. Remember, the RQ's are part of the unibody.

Can you post some pix? Maybe your repair is not as major as you think.

good luck, John

Sorry guys, my car is the wagon. There really is not rust, so that's good news. The only damage to either side is small dents from door dings. It's like I got caught in a horizontal hail storm or something...

I'd love to avoid replacing this panel. So can a Maaco - type body shop fix this type of damage easily and *gulp* cheaply?

Thanks for your help and input!

Blake

how did you get those off, thealleyboy? i thought they were part of the unibody. im taking my wagon into a shop to have the holes where i cut out rust welded shut.

NKX:

Body shops use pneumatic sheet metal shears that do an excellent job. A reciprocating saw with a short, fine tooth blade will also work. For spot welds, I like using a special drill bit which seperates them cleanly.

Blake:

It sounds like you can definitely work the existing panel into shape. I'm assuming you don't want to try it yourself, though this would be an ideal job for a beginner if you want to take a stab at it.

MAACO, or just about any body shop can do this job. What they'll do is grind the metal bare, and bump or pull out as many of the dings as they can. Then they'll lay some bondo over the area to smooth it out. The area will be completely sanded, primed, and finally spot painted.

A panel replacement would involve attaching the new metal and sealing up the seams - plus all of the finishing work described above. You don't want to replace a RQP unless absolutely neccessary.

good luck, John