Ultimate Subaru Message Board

More fun with Speed Bleeders!

Hello,

I bought some Speed Bleeders by Motormite at Pep Boys today. Part number is 12706. They are advertised as 33mm in overall length with a thread size of M10x1.0. I tried to install one of them, and no matter how hard I tighten it down, it still lets brake fluid out when I push the brake pedal. What is going on here? When comparing the speed bleeder with the standard stock bleeder I notice a big difference in thread length. Here are the dimensions:

Stock bleeder:

overall measured length = 33mm

measured thread length = 13mm

length of bleeder after threaded portion (caliper side) = 7mm

Motormite Speed Bleeder:

overall measured length = 32mm

measured thread length = 9mm

length of bleeder after threaded portion (caliper side) = 7mm

Motormite speed bleeders 12706 are supposed to fit according to the pep boy's parts manual and people on this message board (see other speed bleeder posts). BTW, this thread pertains to the FRONT disk brakes for the EA82(T) cars. Could the turbo cars have different calipers causing them to have longer bleeders than the NA cars?

I went to Napa today to see what they had. It looks like the closest match is NAPA part # 675-1570. I had to special order them since they didn't have any in stock. They have the same overall length as the other one, so I don't know if they will perform any different. Anybody that used the motormite or Napa speed bleeders please reply. I would like to know if you had any trouble getting them to close.