Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need new engine. What should I get?

Replaced head gaskets and engine didn't run, so I took it to an automachanic; and he says the crankcase to broke. Come to find out this 86 brat's engine has been replace some where down the line with an 83 engine. Anyway it needs a new engine.

What engine do you recommend? I want an ultimate offroading machine with good gas milage. I've been suggested an EJ22 and an EJ25. I've also heard of a Mazda WRX STI engine, but I think it's 2x4. What's the best 4x4, good gas milage, affordable replacement? I'm 17 and I only got $1800 in the bank. I need transportation now. Who do I buy my engine from? Replies would be appreciated

Well......depending on how much of a mechanic you are... and EJ22 would be nice, but take a LOT of time and knowledge to pull off. If you want someone else to do it, better make sure you have LOTS of money to spare, as that swap is relatively hard. Otherwise the same ol EA81 is probably your best bet. An Ea82 swap probably won't be out of the question, but there are some who don't think they make good off road engines for mud cause they have timing belts. I'd just find another low mileage EA81, and throw it in there.

The EJ22 or EJ18 would both be excellent candidates. They are both a lot of work and expense though. Another option to consider is an SPFI EA82. Unless you get into DEEP water and mud, the EA82 isn't problematic, and with the EFI, drivability will be greatly improved. This option is significantly less costly and involves less work. Of course, you could also just get a rebuilt ea81 from CCR, possibly with a cam and hi-comp pistons that would do quite nicely.

hi and welcome to the board,

there is a guy selling ea82 turbos on ebay for $420.heres the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33615&item=7950499685&rd=1

definatly alot cheaper than the ej22, because this should bolt up to your tranny, and is not as high tech.

there is also a guy on ebay selling the ej22 turbos who says he`ll sell the engine, harness, tranny, and computer for $2800 ($1000 more than you want to spend & alot more work to install).good luck with your search, and let us know your decision.

-Jon

I'll second subynut's suggestion regarding ccrinc. My son put one of their engines in his '82 Brat about 6 years ago; it's still running fine and has won it's class in rallycross two years in a row. Unless you're real talented and have $$$, the EJ18 or EJ22 or EA82T route is very difficult to do.

an ea82 will bolt righ tin if you have the flywheel to it. if not you can drill the holes in the old flywheel to fit the ea82

if you found an ea82 long block with no intake, the brat intake will fit. you can use an spfi block with the brat intake and gain some compression

also if you use an ea82 swap the pitch bar mount from the old motor onto the ea82. take the disty out to clear the master cylinder when installing it, them put it back in. either way you will need a 85-86 carb disty to work in the brat, but you will have to either lengthen the wires or put the coil on the other side. if you use an ea82 battery/starter cable you can put the battery on the other side too, just run a wire to the alt output form the new location(you will have to remove the jack holder)

motor mounts and bellhousing are the same with the ea82 vs ea81