Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine swap Shortcuts

Hi everyone,

I just tried to add my two bits to the engine R&R procedure in the repair board but I was too long winded.

So anyway, a few shortcuts to help you do and EA82 R&R like a NASCAR pit crew:

1: Remove Throttle Body from intake manifold and pull back (leaving hoses attached) and place near drivers side strut tower. Plug the intake manifold hole with a rag to prevent shtuff from getting in there. This shortcut means no fuel lines to purge or fuel lying around to like on fire! It also helps with the second shortcut.

2: Remove the power steering bracket/pump etc. from the engine block. Remove the hose retainers from the pass side of the engine and pull the pump/pulley over to and rest on the passenger strut tower. This helps with the ps fluid getting all over and still leaves ample room for the engine R&R.

3: I have found no need to remove the skid plate

These quickies can speed up the process and I have not noticed any problems with them. If anyone does see problems with these shortcuts please let me know as I plan to use them again shortly.

Now, if only I could get the input shaft from the tranny into the clutch without hassle. This is the part of the procedure that always slows me down . Even though, I have it down to less than 6 beers for the R&R :drunk:

for the input shaft/pilot hole lineup i usually have the engine already on a jack (with plywood oil pan cushion in use) and i use a second jack and give the trans a small lift as well. if you find the right angles for the engine and the trans it goes in pretty smoothly.

i remove the ac and alt as a unit all its bracketry, you can even leave the alt wires connected. but you have to take the adj. pulley off to get to one of the bolts. there is the one on the far bottom left, just loosen it, remove the fat hex bolt from behind the pilley, the 12mm under the alt, and the 14mm on the intake

hmmm, good point.

I never thought of the ac factor.

I've never had a subaru with ac. Living here in calgary you'd only need it a couple days per year.

Can these little engines still get you around when driving an AC compressor?

Minimal use, added weight, loss of power == no AC for me