Ultimate Subaru Message Board

well my new project is here but ive got some problems....

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=4185&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

there is the pic of it

some of you may notice its the same wagon i had a couple of years ago.

anyway its a 1979 wagon with an ea81 motor and trany , wiring and dash ect. out of an an81 brat so it has a dr 4speed with the 4wd shiffter infront of the 4speed shiffter :brow: also it has the wiring dual headlights like a gl brat but it only has one headlight :rolleyes: anyway...

heres the problem

When i sold it it ran fine except for porr cold chok,

now it dosnt run.. its getting fuel but no spark.... coil is ok (that is if you can use a 88turbo coil in an 81 brat setup...) but anyway i think the coil is ok.. timing is on. new cap and rotor and plugs.

the one thing i found was there is a small metal bock that is on a braket that fits around the coil. its about 2in sqare and maybe 1 in thick. it says somthing ab out being an ignition somthing. anyway after cranking it for a while it was warm and every time i messed with it i could hear the electric chock cylinoid hitting. there are 4 wires coming out of the box 2 go to the two polls of the coil. while the other two go out about 2 feet to a t connector that inst hooked to anything and wasnt when it was running in fact it looks to have never been hooked up ever?

anyway anyone have any ideas??????? thanks

Nice car, hope you get it runnin' :)

Are you sure your coil is getting proper juice at the proper times?

(12V on coil's positive contact when ig switch on)

To figure out if it is your control unit/system causing the problem:

Wire a light btwn coil negative and battery positive with the ignition on, it should flash when you crank, if it does bad coil, otherwise bad control unit/system.

It might be a good idea to take a disty out of an 84 car (I don't know which mods will work), and wire it in. I know some/all have a completely internal breakerless system that is very reliable (what I had on my car prior to SPFI), but it was in an OHC engine.