Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lights mounted on the bumper

I like that style better than the oval's i think i'll ck that out....looks cleaner...the only prob would be rocks.. spark
yes indeed. Rocks already took out the passenger glass as you can see. Not sure how to protect them for that, but I need to get another glass from hella. --E

I cant believe I havent posted one yet :)

Here's my Wagons lights:

rackwagon_010.jpg

And here it is after I installed my new bumper:

newguard_006.jpg

I only had one pair of the top lights wired, but I chose to install the wiring and switch on a high rise center console:

switchboard01.jpg

wiring01.jpg

Anyhow... its all gotta come out now. I have to retire my wagon, when I install it on its next subaru... everything will be done propper.

-Brian

Took my bumper off and welded two threaded rods up through the bumper. Fabbed a bar with tubing ends that mounts to the threaded rod with big wing nuts so the light rack is removable when I don't need it.

23RX_NO_WING_014-med.jpg

Lights are Hella 500's. fog and driver.

I used to run on the National parkway 40 miles a day when I lived in the mountains of VA to get home from work. Most of the time it was in the early am. (4am-5am) So the only thing I had to worry about were animals and outrunning the headlights. And an occasional State Forest Ranger.

Now with the FMIC I probably need to revisit the mounting position although I haven't used them in three months.

Regards,

Jay

not to hijack the thread or anything, but how many people are still using OEM foglights (dealer option at least for 80's cars) - I recently got a NOS set, and I am planning on installing them as daytime running lights - my car is pretty much entirely street, so breaking glass won't be a problem for me (it had them for 16 years with no problem, then it was front-ended and they were destroyed)

A few years ago I stumbled into a Pawn Shop in Anchorage and there sitting on the shelf were 2 sets of Subaru issue OEM fog lights. With the switch, relays and wiring all boxed up. I haggled him down to $35 for both sets. Sold one set to a friend for cheap and setup the 2nd pair. They were amber fog lights, and worked great. Were plenty bright for the subie and everything was pretty much plug-n-play.

Chef Tim now has that set, and i havent seen another since (except for one remaining on a few junk yard cars... glass already broken).

-Brian

this is what i did the other day,some reason took me like two hours.

9465driving_lights_mounted-thumb.JPG shortly after mounting them to bumper

9465close_up_of_new_lights-thumb.JPGhere's a close up of them

9465switch_location-thumb.JPG this is where i mounted the switch

downfall is the bulbs are only 20watt,will get changed

dont have a pic of mine at the moment since i just recently moved and cant seem to find all my comp stuff yet, but i have a set of baja 55 watt rectangle lights from walmart ($20) mounted to the top part of the bumper on either side of the emblem in the center. and i have the switch mounted in the dash right beside where the radio goes, along with my toggle switch for my aux cooling fan.