Ultimate Subaru Message Board

and still...nothing.

WJM

if you ever have another confrontation Quote This Fox

"If you have a problem lets take it off-road!"

i wonder how many of these people in fancy cars even know how to drive them to their potential, or even handle the car? i could spank rump roast in my carbbed RX just for drivung technique alone(urban driving within 45mph, outmaneuverability)

all the ricers hang out at the old hires and there i am actually working on my car, drawing a crowd. broke out the welder till i realized there was no electricity on the wall socket. and the biggest truck there wont take my offer to go baja'n behind k-mart.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why don't you bring it up to the East Coast Subaru Show at Carlisle in May? It would be great to have such a unique car and I will be happy to run my STI against you in the autoX so you can post some actual numbers.

I just might....depends on if/when I can get off work to do so.

Will, it isn't easy being different. I speak from experience on this one. We put the last show on for just the education of all Subaru owners. Not all the new gen guys are bad just like not all the old school guys are good. When you go against the grain then you will have to deal with the nay sayers and those with more money than brains. It just goes with the territory.

Being street is one thing, try doing what we do. We took little Japanese cars into the woods. Up against the big three and even the import truck crowd. No one took us serious at all. Until we started showing and proving our skills. It was very slow coming but the ones who actually started taking us seriously were rock crawlers. They build and fab their stuff and understand what we are up against. It's taken 4 or 5 yrs to finally get up a trail and not be asked if we mainlined it in instead of taking the trails in.

The difference is we did it because we chose to be different not to be accepted by others. Don't press so hard to get their approval. You chose to run a different road. Enjoy the trip and do it for you(sound familiar?).

Document your travels and be humble in your victories and respectful in your defeats.

I know I haven't been around much but I have a story to add here.

The other day I was cruising down the highway and low and behold a nice 2.5rs pulls up beside me. I have some flooring materials in the back I was picking up for my dad, and I look kind of scruffy. My windshiled is busted and the road salt is finally starting to take a toll on my old stallion.

Any way these kids are looking me over and start to laugh at me, so I down shifted from 5th to third going about 60 and pulled away.

They finally caught and started mentioning like they wanted to race so I obliged them. We let off at about 85-90 and he was about 1 car ahead of me. We got off onthe same exit and the kid rolled down his window mentioning me to do the same, so I did. Then I heard something I never thought I would...

"hey, that old suby is pretty cool, whats in it"

"A JDM 1.8l turbo" I said.

"well that sure is a cool car, pretty quick too, it surprised me.I hope to see you around. Take her easy". and he left.

My point is, the real enthusists notice rare things, and appreciate the inobvious. Who cares about the ricers.

Y'know..we some broke guys..but damn if we don't seem to get along better than some of the new gen folk...

I dunno about you guys but I respect any car that a guy could have two of, one being a street/autox racer and the other being a lifted mud crawling offroad monster and both of 'em essentially being the same car with minor adjustments..show me any other car that can do that at the price but an old gen sub..Respect Due to our 11-20 year old rusted out, banged up, 100k+ subs! And as B. A. from the A-team would say "pity da foo'" who can't see the fun..

Will, I don't think you'll ever get the type of respect you get right here in USMB from any of the newgen fanboys..

• 1 month later...

I tell ya what, I LOVE being different. these guys with their ricers can rat on my old wagon all they want but all you gotta say it "I bet you can't screw your girlfriend in the back seat... DOGGYSTYLE." ... and they'll usually shut up :banana: and yeah... anytime somebody wants to race me, I just give them directions to a particular dirt road.... and they either don't have the balls to race or always lose their nerve when the hit the first trench. If that doesn't stop them, the mud will. :D I just can't get over the fact that they're so freakin vain... and so very materialistic. if their rims aren't real chrome.... then their own car isn't good enough for them. If you ask me, good ol' fashion steel is the best choice anyday. Respect? I don't need THEIR respect. I got my soob and my family. What more do I need? The soob is almost the perfect vehicle... easy to work on, the boxer engine has so many advantages over inline fours it's not even funny, 4 wheel drive D/R, plenty of room, and good gas mileage. I love my Subaru. Not many people can say they love their riced-out Honda, even though they poured $3000 into it to make it a few seconds quicker... that's not counting all the speeding tickets. Ya see, in a Subaru, you're either too slow to get a speeding ticket or you're too fast to get caught by the cops:rolleyes: .