Ultimate Subaru Message Board

front mount intercooler progress. I/C piping.(DUW)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yup, gotta be signed in it seems, good thing i signed up there last year.

thats frickin sick. i want to do that with a gen 2 brat. in due time i guess, i still need to sell my rx and get a brat.

keep up the good work guys.

Got a few more pics of my car uploaded now. Can see most of the intercooler plumbing in these pics...

http://www.ausubaru.com/ausubaru/html/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=932

Not sure if you have to be a member to see that page...

Thanks for the compliments everyone. No noticable lag. The I/C does a very good job cooling the charge.

I only spent 288.00 on everything including the hoodpins.

I am trying to keep this car as grassroots and inexpensive as possible. Although I will spend the money on factory gaskets and rebuild parts and things that I consider important, most everything else I'll try to fabricate. Within reason.

My most recent motto is " What's the worst I can do, f*ck it up?"

Next really big thing is paint. I might have to amend my motto a bit.

Getting an unusual back pressure, hard off throttle thrumming in the turbo area. Almost sounds like antilag on a rally car. I think the pressure is not releasing all the way or enough and I'm getting pressurized air backing up against the impellers. Hmm. I think we just covered this in another thread.

Thanks again for the props.

Time to cut the hood.

Jay

Thanks for the compliments everyone. No noticable lag. The I/C does a very good job cooling the charge.

I only spent 288.00 on everything including the hoodpins.

I am trying to keep this car as grassroots and inexpensive as possible. Although I will spend the money on factory gaskets and rebuild parts and things that I consider important, most everything else I'll try to fabricate. Within reason.

My most recent motto is " What's the worst I can do, f*ck it up?"

Next really big thing is paint. I might have to amend my motto a bit.

Getting an unusual back pressure, hard off throttle thrumming in the turbo area. Almost sounds like antilag on a rally car. I think the pressure is not releasing all the way or enough and I'm getting pressurized air backing up against the impellers. Hmm. I think we just covered this in another thread.

Thanks again for the props.

Time to cut the hood.

Jay

umm....yeah dude...that's compressor surge...

you don't have a BOV on there do you?? if not..with the extra volume of air that the intercooler is holding, when you slam that throttle shut you'll stall the turbo...this ain't good.

get a BOV on there.. Re-circ, or Atmospheric...it don't matter.

Jay, Jay what can I say except you're the man!!! You have done an absolutely outstanding job on the install. You have inspierd me to the point that I am starting to seriously think about converting to a front mount setup when I come back from Okinawa. I don't want you to think that I'm green with envy, or a biter, or anything, but I do like the way you did everything.Congrats on the awesome setup and keep up the good work!

Patrick

I got mine from the junkyard off a Saab 900, or maybe it was a 9000.

DSC01704.jpg

It was small enough for the pocket, so needless to say... I didnt spend much at all for it. It works great for my small intercooler, not sure if you'd need something larger for your setup.

I would definatly install something ASAP. I ran my Intercooler for a day before I installed my BPV and the difference is a world apart.

-Brian

Looking at BPV's for the car. Check these out.

Found this one on a Saab at the junkyard. Has a 2 wire connector hooked to it. Wassat?

23BPVs_for_RX_011.jpg

This one I like. it's from a 88? Mazda MX6 turbo intercooler.

23BPVs_for_RX_005.jpg

I hunted for one because it's built onto a piece of 1 3/4" piping. Looks like I could just plumb it into my intercooler piping and be done. Have it vent back in front of the turbo in the rubber hosing from the MAF. (You know the place)

The nicest and easiest place to put it would be before the TB in the break I have in the piping.

Isn't it better to mount it as close to the turbo as possible though? Keep the charge in the I/C and piping closest to the TB so car will pick boost back up quicker?

Jay

Isn't it better to mount it as close to the turbo as possible though? Keep the charge in the I/C and piping closest to the TB so car will pick boost back up quicker?
absolutely not. you want it as close to the throttle body as possible. This way actually yields the best throttle response

That's very convenient. I have a section of silicone hose and a really good place to plumb it into near the throttle body. Just need to cut out the sections to make it fit. (All you have to do to ensure you will modify a piece of pipe again is paint it!)

23to_plenum_side_from_Intercooler_006.jpg

I'm thinking I can plumb it to dump the excess in front of the turbo after the MAF where the silencer was before I cut it down for I/C piping clearance.

To recap. I control this BPV with a tee in the factory wastegate control line from the pass side firewall, correct?

I will eventually run the boost up a bit with a manual boost controller. But lets keep it from self destructing first.

Thanks,

Jay

If you are looking for one that fits a 3/4 hose, The best one I have found is from a TII RX7.. Worked great for me.

Yes, recirculating to the silencer thing is convenient and works well..

The actuation can be done from any hose that comes off the manifold that sees both boost and vacuum. Personally I use the same hose for the BPV and the boost gauge. Its the one that comes right off the middle of the manifold right under the TB in the back.. Its plugged on manual cars, used to control the modulator on auto cars.

Hey Jay... i happen to have one extra elbow that is 2 3/8" in diameter. I used this for my intake plentum and it worked perfectly. It may help with your install if you would like it.

Here's what my finished product looks like:

DSC00442.sized.jpg

here it is installed:

DSC00446.sized.jpg

PM me if you'd like it, i dont think I'll use this extra piece.

-Brian

• 1 month later...

My install has gotten a bit more clunky because this car is being driven everyday now and the welding and such is rushed. I will eventually clean it up to a better standard but for now I'm just enjoying the cool noises eminating from under the hood. still running factory boost pressure.

All is well with the install. With exception of the ugliness I believe mechanically it's a success.

oh, the redneck hoodpins have to go and install a grill.

23BPV_install_005.jpg

23BPV_install_006.jpg

Jay

Brian yours is looking good. I miss the painted pictures?