Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Question for Corky or Tex about rear e brake

XSNRG

Backing plate, cables and caliper from a 1979-1981 Toyota Supra. You need to cut up the backing plate and drill a new hole. One hole matches up, another needs to just be elongated.

This worked fine for XT6 rotors, stock will require more mods to backing plate because of the smaller rotor diameter.

Honestly, I would have done it the 200sx way if I would have known. I'm not entirely happy with what I have.

The front stock ebrake cables I looped to the back along the driveline tunnel. At the back of the belly pan I had to bolt the ebrake mounts off the front calipers. These have to be bolted good. From there to the back I just connected with some wire and some wire clamps.

Again, when I do it again, i'm going to use a xt6 backing plate an a 200sx calipers. Mainly because the pads for the Supra are kinda $$, but also they are a pain to install.

The 200sx calipers will yeild a much cleaner install, worth the extra price I would think.

I have it from good authority that the 200SX is not a smooth installation either. I think part of the problem Tex is having is that he kept the stock hand brake cable and handle stuff and just pulled the cables to the back of the car causing a 180 degree bend to accomplish that. My plan was to use the stock Toyota hand brake setup.

I was wondering, the SX stuff seems like the way to go. Did you use retainer for the brake cables in the tunnel? How is the cable action doubling back like that, is it smooth and free?

Backing plate, cables and caliper from a 1979-1981 Toyota Supra. You need to cut up the backing plate and drill a new hole. One hole matches up, another needs to just be elongated.

This worked fine for XT6 rotors, stock will require more mods to backing plate because of the smaller rotor diameter.

Honestly, I would have done it the 200sx way if I would have known. I'm not entirely happy with what I have.

The front stock ebrake cables I looped to the back along the driveline tunnel. At the back of the belly pan I had to bolt the ebrake mounts off the front calipers. These have to be bolted good. From there to the back I just connected with some wire and some wire clamps.

Again, when I do it again, i'm going to use a xt6 backing plate an a 200sx calipers. Mainly because the pads for the Supra are kinda $$, but also they are a pain to install.

The 200sx calipers will yeild a much cleaner install, worth the extra price I would think.

I talked to the authority and maybe it's because he's working on an XT-6? They bolt directly on the RX and the cable is positioned reasonably well. I just need to work out the front cable and the connection to the rear cables.

I have it from good authority that the 200SX is not a smooth installation either. I think part of the problem Tex is having is that he kept the stock hand brake cable and handle stuff and just pulled the cables to the back of the car causing a 180 degree bend to accomplish that. My plan was to use the stock Toyota hand brake setup.

• 8 months later...

time to bump this.. i goofed on my conversion and got XT6 front calipers to retain the front e-brake, but i overlooked their incompatibility with the Legacy knuckles I am using. I can't drive the car with only one caliper bolt in!

Switching to Legacy front calipers is of course no problem, but that puts me in rear E-brake territory. (unless my freshly rebooted Legacy axles would fit in XT6 spindles?)

What's the state of the art in rear E-brake conversions now?

I have done a rear caliper conversion on my brumby with liberty rear calipersand backing plate and made a adaptor using e-brake cables and bolted handbrake to floor.Works well and cheap to do.The hardest part is machining the drum down to a hub and fitting 5 studs thus able to fit wrx wheels.

thanks marshy

The 200SX conversion was smooth, not sure if I can recall the details now but here goes...

I used 200sx calipers with the RX carriers, no mods, all bolt on. I got calipers at the junk yard and used them for cores for rebuilt calipers, the core charge was like $150!

I used a Impreza or legacy e-brake handle and spaced it up of the floor to look stock in the RX console, the consle did require some trimming as the handle is a little fatter. If I recall, I used Impreza sedan cables from a car with rear disc brakes, the end of the cable is a bit different than the drum brake version. I checked the Legacy and Impreza and found a length that was perfect. I drilled a hole through the bulk head above the tunnell and ran the cables straight back through the bulk head and routed them right along the sway bar to the mounts, they go right in the mounts with little mods. The cable mount that bolt to the caliper did require some grinding to clear the axle.

That's it, not sure how it would work with the 5 lug stuff, this is all on a 4 lug RX...

Good luck!

The 200SX conversion was smooth, not sure if I can recall the details now but here goes...

I used 200sx calipers with the RX carriers, no mods, all bolt on. I got calipers at the junk yard and used them for cores for rebuilt calipers, the core charge was like $150!

I used a Impreza or legacy e-brake handle and spaced it up of the floor to look stock in the RX console, the consle did require some trimming as the handle is a little fatter. If I recall, I used Impreza sedan cables from a car with rear disc brakes, the end of the cable is a bit different than the drum brake version. I checked the Legacy and Impreza and found a length that was perfect. I drilled a hole through the bulk head above the tunnell and ran the cables straight back through the bulk head and routed them right along the sway bar to the mounts, they go right in the mounts with little mods. The cable mount that bolt to the caliper did require some grinding to clear the axle.

That's it, not sure how it would work with the 5 lug stuff, this is all on a 4 lug RX...

Good luck!

Hey Mark, do you possibly have any pics of it or is it possible for you to get any pics? It sounds relativily easy but I just want to be sure on how everything would fit before I attempt it. As for it being different vs. the 5-lug conversion, I don't see it being a problem since the calipers are the same on an XT6 as they are on a GL-10/RX car. So if its possible on your 4-lugged RX, then it should be possible on my 5-lugged RX as well...

I don't see it being a problem since the calipers are the same on an XT6 as they are on a GL-10/RX car. So if its possible on your 4-lugged RX, then it should be possible on my 5-lugged RX as well...
True, the calipers are the same, but the disc is larger on the XT6, which is why the backing plate is different, and that is where the caliper bolts to. But to answer your question, yes, it should work on a 5 bolt conversion.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in the process of doing the 5 lug conversion on my 88 wagon.

The 87 EJ20T RX turbo sedan I bought already had the 5 stud on it, but the handbrake (ebrake I think you guys call it) conversion wasn't done.

What's the point of using the 200SX calipers?

Does the 200SX have calipers which are used as the handbrake as well?

Mark, pictures would help, I'm going to put together a web page that will list all the different parts that can be used in a 4 to 5 bolt conversion, this info would be great for those who choose to go the Impreza or Legacy (Liberty) route.

Corky

Good luck!

so if you want the rear e-brake with a 5 lug you need to use impreza or legacy calipers? is there anyway you could do both? use XT6 front calipers for the front, and legacy or impreza calipers for the back. and make a custom mount for the rear e-brake handle right next to the stock front e-brake handle........interesting........im probably just pissin' into the wind on this one though.........

~Josh~

so if you want the rear e-brake with a 5 lug you need to use impreza or legacy calipers? is there anyway you could do both? use XT6 front calipers for the front, and legacy or impreza calipers for the back. and make a custom mount for the rear e-brake handle right next to the stock front e-brake handle........interesting........im probably just pissin' into the wind on this one though.........

~Josh~

This will not work, the Impreza and Legacy have a shoe brake setup for their parking brake, this is sperate from the caliper. There is no e-brake on these calipers.