Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tie Rod Problem

Just put new axle in 92 loyale.2wd Connected ball joint went on ok. Started to hook the tie rod back up, as i started to tighten the nut on the stub it got so far down then the whole stub started to spin with the nut. Any body ever had this problem. How do you solve this.

I have had this problem before (i am assuming you are talking about where the ball joint is connectd to the steering knuckle?). You need to remove the nut and clean the threads on both the nut and the ball joint. If they are damaged the nut will need to be replaced, and you will need to run a tapping die down the thread on the ball joint.

If you can't get the nut off, tap the bottom of the ball joint with a dead blow hammer (or a regular hammer with a block of wood) to engage the taper enough to be able to turn the nut off.

Hope this helps, i know how frustrating this can be!

yeah its tapered, it holds still with tourque

like caleb said put a jack under the tie rod and let it put some tension to hold the works still, once the nut starts to torque down she will hold on her own. nothing is wrong with it thats just how it fits together