Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Comments, Questions, Opinions?

RenaissanceMan

OK, so I havent really talked about my project a whole lot since I started it over a year ago, I thought I would throw it out there and tell you guys what I have done and what ya think... ideas? etc...

100_0417.jpg

OK, so aside from my motoless justy sitting there, I have my 1984 GL station wagon, that I have from scratch built a 6 inch body lift on top of a 2 inch suspension lift for. The rear shocks have 10 inches of travel and are air adjustable, the fronts are like subarubrat's conversion where you cut them out and put in VW beetle strut cartriges w/ RX springs giving you just shy of 8 inches of travel up front. I got some cool high performance bushings from somebody on the board, I dont remember who. The radius rods have been made with 1 inch heavy wall tubing into 5/8's teflon lined chromoly heim joints.

000_0031.jpg

Its got Superswamper SSR's on pug 14 steelies. I have an LSD (thanks subarujunkie) that I am putting on the rear converted to 3.9:1. for now I have just an EA82 D/R 5sp. However, I do also have a RX D/R 5sp FT4wd that I am doing SEVERE modefications to and will eventually install with shorter final drive ratios. For the powerplant I have an EA82T block that I have rebuilt to be immaculate. Gen 3 Heads -ported-, valves 3 angled, etc... (photo shows with heads off, but I have more on the engine now.) anyway, I threw the turbo in the pile and am retrofitting it to use an SC12 toyota supercharger w/ electric clutch that I got off ebay and will produce about 8 lbs of boost. Also I am using an XT spider manifold (the idea is low end torque, not more power)

EA82T_Heads_Off.jpg

The front control arms for the suspension I actually cut and made longer, made longer axles, and had a machine shop make the tie rod extenders out of some super-steel (evertorque?) I needed to move the front stance out 4 inches so the suspension will clear the brake booster. It has the brakes rebuilt all around, new bearings, and disc brakes installed on the rear. The interior is gutted and has xt6 seats fitted in it. I have an aluminum radiator from a VW jetta that I mounted and plan on running dual electric fans. The motor is equipped with the adaptor for a heavy duty hayden oil cooler in addition to a remote base filter adapter for a larger filter.

FUTURE PLANS INCLUDE: (but not limited to)

Waste spark ignition conversion

Tailgate spare tire mount

"Mad Max" style bumpers

Side pipes

Tubing strut towers (there arent any strut towers right now)

All digital guages with new dash (or ANY dash at this point)

Tiger stripe paint job (brownie points)

Missle launchers and a gun turret?

So thats what I got, what do you guys think? any suggestions?

100_0306.jpg

really really well done. I dont know if I like the mesh on the skidplate, but its cool that you've gone all out and are cutting away and rebuilding the strut towers and front end for clearance and suspension travel. Looks like a really well thought out ground-up build. That motor is really purdy, and sounds to be exactly what you want for low end torque. I have to ask what pistons you got in there, running 9.5:1 or 8.7:1 pistons might be a better idea than the 7.7:1 turbo pistons, since you wont have to deal with really hot intake charges like with a turbo.

Your plan with the tranny is to get a full-time 4wd with a real hi-lo and shorter final drive? Sounds wicked.

ok , ok , i hate you.....:brow:i wish i had a shopto play in....man that thing looks awesome.....we are thinking along the same lines as far as front suspension.but i do not know about those beetle inserts.or are they the inserts you would use for a baja setup?is that a dumb question?more info on that if you don't mind.....even if you just want to pm me:brow:

ok , ok , i hate you.....:brow:i wish i had a shopto play in....man that thing looks awesome.....we are thinking along the same lines as far as front suspension.but i do not know about those beetle inserts.or are they the inserts you would use for a baja setup?is that a dumb question?more info on that if you don't mind.....even if you just want to pm me:brow:

Same with me please. Also how did you lengthen your axles? are they custom from an fabricator, or did you do it?