Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 SPFI to EA82T?

I'm sort of toying with the idea to drop in a turbo system on my EA82 SPFI block (9.5:1 compression)..

Besides the exhaust and turbo itself, what other things am I going to need to make this happen?

Boost controller?

What about hooking up oil lines and coolant lines? Thanks.

turbo heads, as they are dual parot you will need them to match the intake.

you can bolt up a turbo to the single port heads on the exhaust side, but you will have to fab up all the ductwork and good luck with one injector

running boost with high compression may present issues. if you are going high compression you will want mild boost, as the compression will make up for the low end power

not to say you cant turbo an spfi but you will have to do your home work if you want it to work reliably

i suggest using turbo cams also as the n/a cams would have too much valve overlap and all your boost will go past the exhaust valve

• 1 month later...

I've also thought about adding a turbo to an ea82 spfi, but not for the reason anyone might think. I live and drive mostly at 6000 ft above sea level and have 3 ea82 spfi subies. They do fine on the straight and level - easily cruising at 65-75 mph. The problem is that on hills at this altitude, they just don't have the power they would have for the same grade hill at sea level. An NA engine will only develop about 75% of its sea level power at 7000 feet (or 67 hp instead of 90 for an ea82 spfi). I would like to "turbo normalize" [common in aircraft engines] the EA82 spfi so that it always had sea level pressure available and could thus make its full power without hurting the engine. Seems like the stock air flow sensor would signal the increased airflow from a turbo and thus cause the right amount of fuel to be delivered. Beyond the mechanical question of custom exhaust and intake ducting, the main question I have is how to limit the boost to an absolute 30-31 inches (mercury) maybe with some kind of pop off valve. Might even go an inch or two beyond that, but any more would risk damaging the engine. Any thoughts?

very interesting idea - I have a grandfather into aviation so I understand what you are trying to do - oil lines would need to come off a spin-on type add-on oil cooler thingy - possible - coolant - I'm not sure - run it off the heater circuit?

if you put SPFI pistons in a turbo block, or turbo heads & wiring on your block, you would make the setup the same as for a turbo soob, but with a 9.5:1 CR (on these engines CR is determined by the shape of the piston face) that would probably be easier to manage/do than adding it to the SPFI system

my concern is that I think that the pressure difference between the ambient air and the pressureized engine could still cause problems - but if you are careful about your boost levels, it seems very possible

just another thought

the ECU for the T engines has a special fuel map

when the engine is fed above atmospheric pressure..

This "fatten's" up the mix to cool the combustion chamber,

this aids in the prevention of the dreaded detonation.

A way to do this is to add cold start injectors

from Bosch CIS system (2 - one for each head)

mounted in the intake runners.

They could be triggered by the same pressure switch the T models use

for turning on the dash "Turbo" light.

This switch should also trigger a by pass for the FI coolant sensor.

Thus telling the ECU to go into "open loop"

and disregard the 02 sensor's output.

A way to do this is to add cold start injectors

from Bosch CIS system (2 - one for each head)

mounted in the intake runners.

What is your opinion on putting one single good sized injector right before the TB? Would serve a similar purpose of fattening the mixture under boost.