Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Advantages of RX over other models?

Are there? At first I was under the impression that the RX was thought of as a rally car, or general performance model. But it seems like the GL almost has more to offer in general. What really sets these two apart?

Where can I also find changes between year models?

rx is cool because, as a rule, it always came with all that good stuff. so if you see an rx, you can bet its got a turbo, and dual range, and all that.

you could probably find the same car with the same options called a gl. but some gls came with carbs, so not all gls are as cool as the could be.

and you could never get an rx with a 6 cylinder, thats where the coolness of the xt6 comes in.

I believe that the RX had anti-roll stabilizer torsion bars (shooting for the right term there) in the back standard, but thy could be got on GL-10s. If you're looking for an old school rally car, go for a turbo sedan. they're said to have the stiffist body and the least weight.

the rx doesnt have tortion bars, it has coil overs all around, and four wheel disk brakes, turbo, rear limited slipp diff, 3.7 final drive ratio, folding rear seats in mine, it also has a rear swaybar. i might have left some off though, correct me if i slipped.

The RX has some things you'll never find on a GL like Dual Range AWD with locking center diff :) Thats probably the best thing about the car, the rest is just like any other GL10. I believe the seats are unique as well, and every RX has a rear limited slip, some GL10's will if they were ordered with them as an option.

They also have the body kit that no GL has.

-brian

mine doesnt have a center diff, i have the older style dual range. looks like it has two output shafts, one goes to the output for the drive shaft and the other goes to the front diff. at least thats what the trans diagram looked like when i was studying it a while back.

also, doesnt the rx have stiffer suspension than the gl-10?

the way i think of the rx vs. the gl-10 is like looking at he wrx vs. the sti. might be slightly exagerated but thats just how i think of it.

OK, I guess everyone is waiting for me to chime in. Subyrally, I suspect that you have an early RX Sedan 85 or 86, so yes, you would not have the Full Time 4WD D/R tranny with the center locking diff, that was actually an 87 introduction with the RX Coupe. Like other have stated, the RX came with a standard combination of parts that were only optional (some of the parts) on other models. The Full Time 4WD D/R 5speed tranny with the center locking diff was unique to the RX, a S/R center locking 5speed was available on other models. I have heard, but never verified that some of the suspension parts were also unique to the RX, like the rear shocks/struts. The rear sway bar on the GL10 Turbo Wagons were actually bigger then the ones on the RX, but I'm sure that Subaru had their reasons for that. I guess the best advantage that they have over the other models is that Subaru made them special by giving us a road going version of their rally cars, similar to what the WRX is today. You might also want to know that the version that we got here in the USA was actually the second generation of the RX, there was a N/A version before the turbo came along.

The RX has some things you'll never find on a GL like Dual Range AWD with locking center diff :) Thats probably the best thing about the car, the rest is just like any other GL10. I believe the seats are unique as well, and every RX has a rear limited slip, some GL10's will if they were ordered with them as an option.

They also have the body kit that no GL has.

-brian

Some of your statment is false! I have a GL 3 door with a Dual Range FT4WD with center locking diff. It also has the rear lsd, same RX (rally) suspension (dampers, springs, and sway bars), and even the same exact seats and interior! That said, my GL does not have the side or rear skirts.

Don't know if this helps, but you can do a couple of cool things with the tranny from that car.

I didn't do the work, but an 87 rx d/r was put in my 88 wagon & modified to work with a 4:11 legacy LSD. The viscous coupling unit from a legacy was installed to replace the locking dif (I guess they match up pretty well). The vacuum system for the previous locking center diff was modified so pushing the locking diff button on the gearshifter throws in the reduction gear since the diff is not there any more. I had high rpm's in 5th @ interstate speed, so a 5th from a forester was put in there when I needed the clutch replaced. The tranny bolts to a 2.2 legacy engine via an adapter plate. This setup has been working pretty flawless for over 7 years.

Some of the things I've enjoyed about using the rx tranny this way:

The close ratio gears knocked down to 4:11 are fun for off road. I always have full time 4WD. The button engaged reduction gear is really convenient & pretty quick. The LSD has been very useful. 85mph+ on the highway is a breeze with the long 5th gear. --E

Some of your statment is false! I have a GL 3 door with a Dual Range FT4WD with center locking diff. It also has the rear lsd, same RX (rally) suspension (dampers, springs, and sway bars), and even the same exact seats and interior! That said, my GL does not have the side or rear skirts.

whats your VIN number? I'd put money on it being a 56B chassis.

eh, if I had four I'd prolly think differently about it. but I still say it would be easier to get a buddy to get into the import biz and get some D/R EJ trannys over here.

I suppose it is subjective. To me a dual range transmission is far 'better' than the EJ trans available in the US. Since the RX box has been proven to hold up to over 300 crank hp, it certianly isn't glass, at least not in respect to what we are likely to see out of EA cars (lighter weight helps too). I am very anxious to compare the gearsets and shafts as well just to see how much stronger the EJ boxes are internally. Since I have 4 RX boxes collected (including in cars) I have a interest in upgrading them if possible

As for options. starting in 88 the 3 doors were all power windows and locks, I beleive this was a change between 87 and 88. I have not seen a trip computer in a RX yet. Cruise control was optional and I have only seen it in one 88 RX, none of mine had it. The drivers seat is height adjustable I'mnot sure what other models had that feature. Of course the standard suspension, drivetrain, and body styling kits are the largest benefits of the RX model.

And what is the VIN or your car?

Don't know if this helps, but you can do a couple of cool things with the tranny from that car.

I didn't do the work, but an 87 rx d/r was put in my 88 wagon & modified to work with a 4:11 legacy LSD. The viscous coupling unit from a legacy was installed to replace the locking dif (I guess they match up pretty well). The vacuum system for the previous locking center diff was modified so pushing the locking diff button on the gearshifter throws in the reduction gear since the diff is not there any more. I had high rpm's in 5th @ interstate speed, so a 5th from a forester was put in there when I needed the clutch replaced. The tranny bolts to a 2.2 legacy engine via an adapter plate. This setup has been working pretty flawless for over 7 years.

Some of the things I've enjoyed about using the rx tranny this way:

The close ratio gears knocked down to 4:11 are fun for off road. I always have full time 4WD. The button engaged reduction gear is really convenient & pretty quick. The LSD has been very useful. 85mph+ on the highway is a breeze with the long 5th gear. --E

Boy, I'd sure like to see that tranny.

dude I just noticed you were in the US, Colorado to be exact. just another reason to go there I guess that way I can see if it really does have 4:11s in it. did you say you still had the low range too?

The guy I bought my RX from told me that the roof had an extra roll bar than other models. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it also has the kickass gauges (oil p., temp, volt, gas, car display) that didn't come until later in other models (my 88 RX has same gauges as my dad's 91 Loyale).

dude I just noticed you were in the US, Colorado to be exact. just another reason to go there I guess that way I can see if it really does have 4:11s in it. did you say you still had the low range too?

I'm already here in Colorado and have to see this..Beef give me a PM if I can come swing by/get together sometime and check this out. I have to say that's one hell of a mod. Might have to plan that in my RX's future.

JWX wrote:

whats your VIN number? I'd put money on it being a 56B chassis.

Dr. RX wrote:

And what is the VIN or your car?

The VIN is JF2AG55BXHG806343. Therefore, it is not an RX!

Dr. RX or Corky, we talked about this when I first joined the board in 2002. I guess you don't remember, but I showed you the window sticker of my car and you already determined it not to be an RX but a very rare and maybe even special ordered GL.

Here is a link to where you can view the window sticker:

http://www.geocities.com/techperor/subaru/subaru5.htm

click on it for the larger version (warning its big).

If you look through that gallery, you will see how similar this car is to an RX! The only difference is that mine has Lake Blue (736) paint and no side or rear skirts.

JWX wrote:

Dr. RX wrote:

The VIN is JF2AG55BXHG806343. Therefore, it is not an RX!

Dr. RX or Corky, we talked about this when I first joined the board in 2002. I guess you don't remember, but I showed you the window sticker of my car and you already determined it not to be an RX but a very rare and maybe even special ordered GL.

Here is a link to where you can view the window sticker:

http://www.geocities.com/techperor/subaru/subaru5.htm

click on it for the larger version (warning its big).

If you look through that gallery, you will see how similar this car is to an RX! The only difference is that mine has Lake Blue (736) paint and no side or rear skirts.

Gee, if I could remember everything that I talked about on this board, it would be a miracle, but I did remember our conversation, I just couldn't remember if that was you or not.

Not a whole lot to see. But I can snap a pic next time its on a lift. --E
Well, that's not exactly what I meant. I meant that I physically wanted to see the tranny so that I could determine what was done.