Ultimate Subaru Message Board

takin apart the turbo

my EA82T has a VF2 turbocharger. Yesterday I started to get a huge amount of coolant pouring out from the bottom of the turbo.

No prob I thought - prolly the coolant hose that passes right next to the head - easy enough.

No such luck:banghead:

It looks like the coolant was coming right out of the bottom of the turbo body cause the hose is fine, and there is nowhere else around there it could be coming from.

Anyone ever taken apart their turbo? Is there a water seal that could have blown in there and isn't too hard to replace?

I have the turbo off already, but I'm a little sketched about taking it all apart cause I know the turbines are precision balanced and I don't wanna mess anything up.

Oh what to do, what to do....

Hey Johnathan I have pulled one apart, it's fairly easy. As long as you are carefull you not to damage the turbines you'll be alright[having a rebuild kit handy would be sweet tho]. I googled and found someones write up of theirs and gave that a read before I started messin'. I have a rhb5 whatever trim, the turbo you need, that's got some cracks on the exhaust side and a bit of shaft movement that I'll swap you if things don't go OK. I need the intake side off a stock one for my hybrid tdo4/rhb5 I'm making.

my EA82T has a VF2 turbocharger. Yesterday I started to get a huge amount of coolant pouring out from the bottom of the turbo.

No prob I thought - prolly the coolant hose that passes right next to the head - easy enough.

No such luck:banghead:

It looks like the coolant was coming right out of the bottom of the turbo body cause the hose is fine, and there is nowhere else around there it could be coming from.

Anyone ever taken apart their turbo? Is there a water seal that could have blown in there and isn't too hard to replace?

I have the turbo off already, but I'm a little sketched about taking it all apart cause I know the turbines are precision balanced and I don't wanna mess anything up.

Oh what to do, what to do....

There are no water seals.Only way the centre housing is going to leak is if it is cracked.That should be easy to spot.

Are you sure the problem isn`t the water pipes/banjo fittings? A cracked pipe perhaps?

If the housing was cracked,and if I was you,I would get some more mileage out of the turbo by plumbing the water lines together and running it w/o water cooling like an ea81t VF-1 turbo.

Does your VF-2 turbo have part# 14412 AA002 on the tag?

Is your car an 85?

Vanislru-What kind of snap ring pliers did you use to remove the bearing snap rings?

I can`t find a pair small enough.

There are no water seals.Only way the centre housing is going to leak is if it is cracked.That should be easy to spot.

Are you sure the problem isn`t the water pipes/banjo fittings? A cracked pipe perhaps?

If the housing was cracked,and if I was you,I would get some more mileage out of the turbo by plumbing the water lines together and running it w/o water cooling like an ea81t VF-1 turbo.

Is your car an 85?

Vanislru-What kind of snap ring pliers did you use to remove the bearing snap rings?

I don't have any snap ring pliers, I did things a little bit ghetto:drunk:

I have a good used turbo for sale with new coolant inlet and outlet hoses, and a new oil return hose, and new gaskets for the crossover pipe at the heads and at the turbo, all from the dealer and used for less than a year. I am asking $110 US for all of it. If you need to replace your unit entirely with a good one, mine is available :) good luck though

never mind, i just made a deal for it :P

Is your car an 85?

Anyone ever taken the coolant lines off of a stock EA82Turbo?

I thought it was pretty crucial to have the cooling because these things get pretty damn hot. What can I expect if I do this?

And in answer to your question naru, it is an '85, and that part # is right (I think).

I haven't done that but earlier subes had no water cooling and they worked well but packed it in much sooner than ours do. You can run without and be fine [as long as you idle for a min. or so after a bit of hard driving] but it'll pack it in alot sooner than you'd expect. If you don't want to mess with it let me know and I'll send mine down on the bus. :)

What haven't you manage to break yet on this "easy timing belt fix" car?? Soon, you will just end up with one turbo dual range, and an carb'd auto if you keep tinkering.

I'm glad you're getting so much enjoyment outta this Martin:banghead:

I'm glad you're getting so much enjoyment outta this Martin:banghead:

Nah, it's not total enjoyment. It's not fun working on the subes when you have to. Preventative maintanence, or fixing things when you have time seem to go a lot faster. That thing has just been one dumb thing after another for you. But it will have to be in perfect running order soon.

I got a stock IHI RHB5 from my '89 RX that I'll sell you for 30 bucks plus the cost of shipping... Worked good when I pulled it so I could drop a TD04 on the car. A little dirty since I had a bad oil leak coming from the return line underneath it

That's a great deal caboobaroo. I'm tryin to find something a little closer to home (need it soon) but if that fails I'll definitely get in touch,

cheers