Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Boot Repair (?)

Put in new fr axle and had difficulty. Loosened sway bar bolts. After turning and twisting the axle I found to my mucho consternation that I had ripped the new boot! from the bolt heads. Also reluctant to remove axle again because the threads are getting thin.

I have been useing GOOP for just about everything. It retains some elasticity as it hardens into its final congealed and contracted state. Have cleaned boot with carb cleaner and applied several thin coats to speed drying. Later after a little grease came out had to glob on some more but now it's holding at 70mph. Actually there is more stress turning sharp corners when boot is cold.

I think this would make a good off-road repair if you can wait a few hours for it to dry. At least it slows down grease loss and minimizes cleanup. Home Depot-$5

it's still useful advice.. :)

axle boots can fail from many other things too. maybe this stuff will keep a boot from failing if it's put in the bellows when they start showing cracks.

i'm just glad it wasn't another thread asking about those crappy sewn together boots.

yeah.. axles and the boots are warranteed. Axles have a lifetime warranty if you bought them from any parts store. The boots are usually a one year warranty. Drive em til they snap, pull the axle and go get a free one.

I put 10,000 miles on axles after the boots rip

You should maybe know that sway bars need to come off lifted or offroading rigs.

You should maybe know that that is only for hard core rigs, you can leave them on after a lift, and most subies won't improve offroad noticeably by it. they in no way need to come off. you are infact making the on road handeling much more dangerous in an emergency maneuver.

that said i'm not running bars on mine.

• 1 month later...