Ultimate Subaru Message Board

tracked subie

subie94

Basically, they are only good for smooth terrain. I saw a episode of "Trucks" where they put a set on a 3/4T Chevy and put it thru alot of different terrain. It had problems in mud and on rocks, but did well on snow and smooth stuff.

The rougher it got the more the suspension got hammered. It had problems with the track staying on and debris getting in the system.

lat i checked, the cheap ones were like $27k, they go to like $50k or so. at least thats what it said last year.

ROFLOL!!! :lol:

"excuse me mr bank, but can I get a loan on $50,000 Mattracks for my $2,000 brat?"

:drunk:

man if I had the money I guess it wouldn't matter, but I dunno if I could still justify that kinda cash for these trax ... guess they look better than they are ... but of course you don't see them having any trouble with un-even terrain in the vids ... but if they did, they would just not show anything but positive stuff on the site ... interesting idea tho :burnout:

Rather than 4 tracks, We've been toying with the idea of 2 tracks Full car Length....This is For Off-Road Use only ....

Pull the Subi Tranny, and Stick a Small hydralic Pump behind a Pumped up Subaru Engine or Little Diesel Engine.....Doing it this way you get skid steer like the Tracked vehicles do.....

Then you get an Arctic-Roo.......Would love to do it to an Outback Wagon or something Newer....Find one with dead Drive train , and Go to town....:)

Later, John

i think they did do it on monster garage,but it wasn't to a subie:brow:

ok here is the plan....

i am going to buy a lottery ticket......and hope for the best 24,000!damnit

Lottery ticket..... the lottery is a tax on the mathematically challenged...

but there is that one in 26 million chance... heck I'm feeling lucky, I just found a 87 GL-10 for $150.00 w/36K on the odo. oh yeah.. I forgot it's got no engine. but it has LSD :banana:

(edit) Ohhh.. I have to buy a ticket now.. this is my 500th post

• 4 months later...

I thought about what it would do to your gear ratio. I think cos its only running only little wheels (the bit that puts the power from the hub to the track) it would make it very low gearing. Great for offroad by the looks of it. But I like the challenge of wheels. And I also don't want to visit the bank this week! Looks like a great idea tho.

• 4 years later...

I would love to put tracks on my GLHB or BRAT just for the wintertime around here.

I have one of those jobs that require you to be available 24-7, mission essential personnel.

Maybe if one gets a good look at them and a few pictures, one could fabricate something similar from some 4 old snowmobile parts and subie wheels

Thats prbly where they got the idea from.

Being from Minn-eh-sota and all, eh?