Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil pump noise

if you're talking about noises related to seals, gaskets and actual oil supply issues, look through the thousands of existing threads on the subject.

if you're speaking of the pump itself making external noises, the oil pump has a very thin metal backing plate. this plate can come off and make a loud whirring noise about as good as i can explain it. timing belt can grab that metal plate and get torn to shreads.

(i had an extra belt in the trunk and bent the plate out of the way with some channel locks to get me home then removed the plate entirely later)

I said oil pump noise, not HLA. You know. HLA's up on top, oil pump down at bottom, get it? Oil pump noise.

Umm I dont know if this is appropriate but if I were you I might drop the attitude a hair...These guys in here know more about Soobs than anyone else..They have been dealing with them for 20+ years or more.And grossgary has been very very informative to me many times....even with things that at first didnt seem to make sence.

Plus..technically..you are wrong..HLAs are not up top..they are either side and oil pump is in the middle (boxer motor as I sit here looking at my spare motor that I have 75% tore down...in my kitchen)

Anyway...I have 2 spare good oil pumps right here and I might part with one of them (both EA82s) cheap if you want to try to replace yours....but I would first start with the mickey mouse gasket.

Umm I dont know if this is appropriate but if I were you I might drop the attitude a hair...These guys in here know more about Soobs than anyone else..They have been dealing with them for 20+ years or more.And grossgary has been very very informative to me many times....even with things that at first didnt seem to make sence.

Plus..technically..you are wrong..HLAs are not up top..they are either side and oil pump is in the middle (boxer motor as I sit here looking at my spare motor that I have 75% tore down...in my kitchen)

Anyway...I have 2 spare good oil pumps right here and I might part with one of them (both EA82s) cheap if you want to try to replace yours....but I would first start with the mickey mouse gasket.

100% appropriate.

Your right, and I was wrong. With the attitude I mean. And I apologize for that.

Your are also right of course about the HLA's being where you say they are.

Geeze, I'm getting grumpier and grumpier the more I work out in the snow. Sorry. I need to just read and study and stay away from the keyboard when I'm like that.

The noise when listened for with a mechanics stethascope APPEARS to be coming from the oil pump. But I know how decieveing that might be. New oil pump was ordered yesterday and will be here today at noon. IknowIknow, might only need a gasket. I might have to change my user -name to "overkill".

Some of you probably think it should be "jerk" or "wongleflute" or--well, you get it. But I'm gonna change that. Youll see.

Any way, the most important thing I have to say to all of you, (and I'm gonna capitalize this so it looks like yelling, cause I really, REALLY want all of you that have helped me here with this project to understand that I mean it from the bottom of my grizzeled old black heart!)

THANK YOU ALL SO VERY MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP! YOU ARE ALL GREAT, THIS IS A GREAT PLACE, AND I COULDN'T HAVE GOTTEN THIS FAR WITHOUT YOU!

There are literaly hundreds of years of accumulated knowledge here. I don't intend to screw up the privelage of tapping into that with my grumpy attitude.

If you guys knew me personally, you would understand why the attitude gets out of hand sometimes, but to start explaining would be whining, so I'll shut the heck up now, and just say thanks again. I'm gonna have one of the coolest (old) Soobs in Central Oregon, (that I know of anyway) and it's thanks to you guys.

Pyro

apology accepted ..at least on my end..:grin: Sorry...sometimes I take things that are said to others personally.

These guys are the best!!! And will bend over backwards to help another owner out. We all know how frustrating things can be at times ...and the funniest part about it all...is usually its something easy and stupid to fix the problem.

You probably already know this...or have done it recently...when you are replacing the oil pump go ahead and replace the timing belts and cam seals. Since you have all that stuff opened up already...better safe than sorry. I forget...didnt you already do all that?? If so forget what I just said ..:)

Hope the new oil pump solves the problem

Well,well,well.

Guess what. I get to eat the ultimate humble pie. It's full of crow too.

(I mean even more-so than before!)

Did a down and dirty, wham bam oil pump instalation today. (didn't take any belts off, just locked the tensioner on drivers side up, slipped that belt out of the way, pulled the pump, stuck in the new one, made sure cam to crank relationship stayed the same)

And guess what? Well most of you already know what.

Silence. Blessed silence.

Hail Mother and pass the gravey holy cow.

Yoose all correct, my bad. Skeptical showme dude, that be me.

I will never, perhaps, understand how the heck a collapsed lifter winds up being the noisiest down at the bottom of the oil pump. But apparently it is so.

And furthermore, in spite of the the recent reading I did here at USMB, some thread, ancient or otherwise, where some feller allieviated the dreaded TOD with a pump reseal or some such, and then went on to proclaim a distinct increase in low in torque, only to whohawed and told "not possible", .....................well, I have it too! Increased low end torque that is. (as measured by the seat of me pants. I'd swear to it. Not a great lot mind you, but it's there. My theory has something to do with colapsed lifter, that cylender not preforming correctly, somehting vague and unscientific like that.

And the noise comeing from the oilpump? Somebody said something about an echo chamber effect, so who knows. Or maybe it was the pump itself clacking along like the gates of hell in some evil hurricane. I DONT KNOW. And right now, I'm just happy. And humbled.

Thank you Ladies and Gents. And you others too. Thank you. And again, please, please, forgive my ever-so skeptical nature. As I have previously stated, I have ancestors from MO. And indeed,.......I have been shown.

Silence. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Pyro

Well it comes and goes now. (the TOD, that is)

Verified yesterday that this is a longblock transplant with only 1200 miles on it. Then it sat for 5 years.

Was mail delivery car. Nothing but stop and go. Low RPM. Dirty. Questionable maintenence, as in oil changes. Who knows.

swaped out drivers side knuckle with control arm/axle/disc. Cured "pulling to the left" problem.

Current theory on TOD is gunk in lifters.

Theory on solution: Drive it. Change oil often. Possibly try ATF at later date. "IF" that doesn't get it, will check O rings in cam tower and clean out that little valve thats supposed to be in there. But I think it's gonna go away with use and time.

Again, thanks for all the help folks. Appreciate it.

Pyro