Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tight fit with TWE Header (calling WJM and others)

I finally got to test fit my TWE header on the engine today. The engine is currently bolted to an engine stand. I turned the engine upside downside to make it easier. A friend and I tried to slip the header evenly onto the exhaust studs and it would just not slip on. The stud holes will not line up with the studs on one of the sides. Looks to be off by a centimeter. Anyway, to get it on I had to put the driver side of the pipe on about a quarter of the way onto the studs and then pull the 180 degree (turbo side) pipe really hard until it lined up with the studs. Then I had to pull some more to get the pipe to come all the way down to the gasket. So ya, it fits, but it fits really tight. Has anybody else had this problem installing a twe header? Is this the way its supposed to be? To pull it off, we had to count till three and pull up quicky. I was really worried it wasn't got to fit especially after I paid lots for the HPC Hypercoating.

BTW, I found that the bracket that supports the header and turbo assembly (the one that is bolted to the turbo side head) will still fit with the TWE header, if you bolt it to the bottom side of the turbo flange instead of the top side. At most you may need to round out the holes just a little. This is good news for those who are not good at fabbing up brackets like me.

Update: I was wrong about the bracket. You will still need to fab one up.

Are you using the extra bolt holes, or just sticking with the original 2 on each side? Use this time with the engine out to do something creative with the power steering lines, and watch for the metal cooling line like wjm mentioned.

IIRC, the FIRST time i installed the header on my wagon....it was off about 5MM. I didnt worry about it. I know that other aftermarket headers are off that much or MORE (Borla, GP Moto, Brulen etc...). I just moved hoses out of the way and bolted it down. I used the original 2 studs.

However....after running it on the wagon for a bit....taking it off it and putting it on the RX....it fit perfectly.