Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea81t with an ea82t unit on it.

Ok, I don't know much about ea82t units, so I want to hear what others think of this problem. The car puff's white smoke when it runs, even after warm up, and also drips coolant out the exhaust, when I rev it, it'll leave a puddle the size of a basket ball on the ground out the tailpipe. If the turbo unit overheated, would it leak water like this down the pipe and out the back? it's been doing this sense it blew the upper turbo coolant hose when I was on my way to the shop. Or, could it difinataly be a headgasket problem?

This car is an ea81t, but it's upgraded to a water cooled ea82 turbo unit.

the turbo charger, I replaced the old one with this one, because the old one was spewing coolant into the exhaust, shortly after I replaced it, the car ran great, and didn't lose any coolant, until the upper coolant hose sprung a pinhole leak... and ran the car dry of coolant in less than half a mile. At the point of wich the temp gauge stoped recording a 180 degree or more temprature, I got the car off, because that suggested to me it ran so dry of coolant that it was no longer flowing through the heater core hose. the car only ran with the leak like that for 10 minutes at most, it was a short drive, and it happened on the way to the shop to get it wavered. Anyway, replaced the coolant hose, and now it's back to rushing coolant out the exhaust pipe, so I'm wondering if the turbocharger blew its water seal when it over heated? I know the turbocharger over heated. The engine it's self appears to run fine otherwise. But I suspect the turbocharger because it also doesn't sound quite right when it spools up anymore.

What do you consider a "unit"? Are you meaning just the turbocharger, or do you mean the entire engine?