Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81T Wagon Woes (Pics added 4/19/05)

Well after having a lot of trouble with my waterpump and finding a suitable replacement (Thanks Shawn!), my wagon needs more work. The boot on my passenger side front axle ripped open for some reason and spewed grease all over the turbo and underside of the car. :banghead: I'd rather replace the whole thing than mess with a potentially bad axle. And it was behaving so well recently...

spffff... axles are nothin, both axles on my brat have ripped boots... I wish that was all that was wrong with my turbo lol. just look at it this way, 45 minutes, a hammer, 3/16th punch, breaker bar, 35mm socket, and a 14mm wrench and socket will have that sucker replaced in around 45minutes....

Oh, I've done axles before, and in WAY less than 45 minutes. I just feel like whining. You wouldn't happen to have any spare auto axles would you?

no I don't sorry, but I believe they're the same as manual as well, in the ea81's they're the same... no matter what tranny they have.

Well, the trip up to Bellingham went fine, but when I pulled off to drop my friend off, I smelled coolant. I figured it would be fine. Well the next day I had to drive about 20 blocks to the grocery store. Long story short, there is steam coming from the turbo area, but I still have all the heat sheilds and spare tire in there, no tools, no place to work, and nothing to carry water in. Hopefully my friends uncle who owns a shop will look at it for free and tell me what I need to fix. I just don't have the time to fix my car up here. GRrrrrrr!!!:banghead:

I had that same hose go bad in the same spot. I just cut out the bad spot. I think the leak is closer to the turbo its self this time judging on where the steam was coming from. I'm about to go snoop around under the hood. I'll report anything suspicious taht I find.

Well, 14 minutes later and nothing looks out of the ordinary. :banghead: I did move the spare tire to the hatch so I can see what is steaming next time I drive it.

I beleive this is the offending hose:

18IMG_1165.jpg

18IMG_1166-med.jpg

Anybody have to replace one of these little buggers in the car? The solution that I can think of to get to it without removing too many things is to take off the exhaust manifold, but as I remember getting it off and back on the turbo is a PITA. Any ideas?

• 1 year later...