Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Have I proved my point yet?

my point(s) being that the EA82T RX is a competitive and fast car in SM locally (and would have been at this last National Tour event as well...it runs as fast as the RS on med. size courses, and on the larger ones, is a tad faster...so, 5th~6th i would have placed), those enignes CAN make a ton of power in a not too far from stock form, there ARE aftermarket items for the cars, and the transmission can take 4 wheel Race tire launches on a hot stickey surface no problem.

There are still MANY areas to make the car even faster....front-center LSD, MS+DIS, ball bearing VNT turbo, Cometic multi-layer metal head gaskets....etc....

But....is it time to move to EJ? EJ into Leone? the EJ calls stronger than ever before....specifically, an EJ251/EJ253...an RS/Forester/Legacy Phase 2 SOHC EJ25....

What also calls....is Impreza....RS or L with EJ22E in it....but then again, the Forester is now classed for Solo2...it calls as well.......

What sucks is I JUST landed REAL sponsorship with the RX...suspension goodies...

Well...off to price out and gather all the items I will need for this weekend.

Stick with the EA82T - the EJ-series is argueably a better engine, but the EA was designed for the car, and is MUCH lighter - lighter engine = better handeling - you were doing great until the head gasket blew - and that appears to be more mileage than abuse, so you still haven't really reached the limits of the engine's design - and putting something as heavy as an EJ series engine in your car would not help you corner - old school is the way to go

i know ive not gotten anywhere close to maxing out the engine. After looking at all the headgaskets...the EA82 and EARLY EJ gaskets ARE the weak link....

However, after lifting and moving around EA vs EJ engines...the EJ would ony be a 50lb gain. Loss of coolness of turbo power, severe gain in reliability, and only a small loss in power.

I can get an EJ22T, complete, for $600.... :slobber:

However, after lifting and moving around EA vs EJ engines...the EJ would ony be a 50lb gain. Loss of coolness of turbo power, severe gain in reliability, and only a small loss in power.

I can get an EJ22T, complete, for $600.... :slobber:

I thought the weight difference was much more ... but then I was moving the EJ up a STEEP hill (near Sparta).

I can see why it would be appealing, especially if the weight difference is not all that great ... but then again, the EA82 is such a good engine - copper headgaskets?? - you decide what you want to do!! - you have many good options

and yes, you have proven your point - old school rocks!!

dude...the EJ's too too heavy.. with the EA's the car is perfect balanced. another 50-100 lbs.

for the amount of time an effort you would spend on an EJ....you could redo an EA REALLY well.

think about it.

EJ motor....2.5 or 2.2....N/A or Turbo...once you get the motor and all the other parts...you looking at atleast 500 bucks. youre gonna need the tranny and stuff also....i'm not sure how the strong the EA trannys are.....we completely stripped 2nd gear in one this winter....on ice ?!?!

No matter which way you strike it your going to want to "redo" the EJ...if your N/A your talking about cams, pistons, shaving heads, blah blah blah. if turbo your going ot want to ATLEAST freshen it....this could be a 200-1000.

your up to probably in the best case over 1000 bucks. and i haven't talked about engine management.

I figure engine management would be a wash...because if you go stand alone you'd prolly be doing it on the EA anyways.....if your going with stock wiring harness on the EJ, then you'll prolly need a donor car.

Now...for the money you'd spend on a proper EJ set-up....you could build an awesome EA.

shave the head down and giver some more compression.

bigger turbo

Megasquirt

head work

copper gaskets.

I;ve blown up more of these engines than i can count...but we keep putting them together...the reason is because when they run...the cars are awesome, plain and simple...if you put an EJ in that thing it will NEVER handle the same again.

Damn. you talk sense. This is what I was preaching before saturday morning.

I have renewed faith.

SM prepare to suck vacuum.

dude...the EJ's too too heavy.. with the EA's the car is perfect balanced. another 50-100 lbs.

for the amount of time an effort you would spend on an EJ....you could redo an EA REALLY well.

think about it.

EJ motor....2.5 or 2.2....N/A or Turbo...once you get the motor and all the other parts...you looking at atleast 500 bucks. youre gonna need the tranny and stuff also....i'm not sure how the strong the EA trannys are.....we completely stripped 2nd gear in one this winter....on ice ?!?!

No matter which way you strike it your going to want to "redo" the EJ...if your N/A your talking about cams, pistons, shaving heads, blah blah blah. if turbo your going ot want to ATLEAST freshen it....this could be a 200-1000.

your up to probably in the best case over 1000 bucks. and i haven't talked about engine management.

I figure engine management would be a wash...because if you go stand alone you'd prolly be doing it on the EA anyways.....if your going with stock wiring harness on the EJ, then you'll prolly need a donor car.

Now...for the money you'd spend on a proper EJ set-up....you could build an awesome EA.

shave the head down and giver some more compression.

bigger turbo

Megasquirt

head work

copper gaskets.

I;ve blown up more of these engines than i can count...but we keep putting them together...the reason is because when they run...the cars are awesome, plain and simple...if you put an EJ in that thing it will NEVER handle the same again.

while your at it...find a constant supply of turbos...

then giver with some Anti-lag. Watch those auto-x guys *************** their pants when you flick the ALS button...

but yeah dude...with proper engine management. you can run almost infinate boost, and compression.. as long as you have no ping and your AFR's and EGT's are right. The AFR's and EGT's are what burn up these motors.

#1 and #3 run lean because of the fuel rail design.

Just do some thinking, and plan everything out. Don't be affraid to try and make your own ideas....i made my own equal length fuel rails...they cost me $30 bucks in Material (CDN DOLLARS)...that included the Fuel injection fuel line which is like 5 bucks a foot....they work really well...

here is what i say (not worth much but hay :drunk: )

ea82t, build it with all the goodys.

studs, port & polish,

turbo, ect ect ect

then only turn it up to 12lbs

you should then have a car that is fast and reliable......... i know the stockers are good for decent power but there isnothing like building amotor to run 200hp and then run it at 150 it will last forever and be fast..

Why not go with aftermarket engine management? It would take care of the fuel cut gremlin, get your air fuel mix where you want it, and get the reliabiltiy of the engine up a lot. The money invested in an aftermarket system would pay off in the times you wouldn't have to swap toasted engines out.

my point(s) being that the EA82T RX is a competitive and fast car in SM locally (and would have been at this last National Tour event as well...it runs as fast as the RS on med. size courses, and on the larger ones, is a tad faster...so, 5th~6th i would have placed), those enignes CAN make a ton of power in a not too far from stock form, there ARE aftermarket items for the cars, and the transmission can take 4 wheel Race tire launches on a hot stickey surface no problem.

There are still MANY areas to make the car even faster....front-center LSD, MS+DIS, ball bearing VNT turbo, Cometic multi-layer metal head gaskets....etc....

But....is it time to move to EJ? EJ into Leone? the EJ calls stronger than ever before....specifically, an EJ251/EJ253...an RS/Forester/Legacy Phase 2 SOHC EJ25....

What also calls....is Impreza....RS or L with EJ22E in it....but then again, the Forester is now classed for Solo2...it calls as well.......

What sucks is I JUST landed REAL sponsorship with the RX...suspension goodies...

Well...off to price out and gather all the items I will need for this weekend.

Just a thought here. A street/strip or a dedicated race car has the potential to expire on you at any given time. A whole different world than a dedicated daily driver. Since we're not talking a 20 K engine here, my preference is to have a nearly identical replacement ready to drop in. That goes for the turbo,trans,and rear diff as well. If you want to stay up and running with a minimum of down time. But I'd say you've considered that. Do it if you can swing it.