Ultimate Subaru Message Board

another axle problem...

hey there guys. i have another issue with the '88 dl... but this may have been ongoing for a while. i've been searching the forum and cant find anything matching my issue, so i'll give it a shot.

well, the axles on my car dont match. i never really looked at them before since i had them replaced in November...

back in November I had the axle replaced and then three days later, boom click click click, the axle broke. so i had it towed to the shop i had it done at, and replaced.

now that i look at them, like i said, they dont match (one is flat around going into the tranny, and one is spiked going into the tranny, if that makes sense)... maybe thats the way it's supposed to be, but i dont know.

also, grabbing the axles on the Soob i found them to be a little loose. is that normal?

i've had the tires replaced, balanced, car aligned. and the car STILL has a horrible vibration at speeds of 55 mph and up. oh yeah and the good old click click click on the left turns...

now can axles cause the vibration im experiencing, or what is it?

thanks to anyone that can help me :headbang:

the axle definitely shouldn't be loose..... I have a feeling whoever put your axle in definitely didn't know what they were doing.. or just didn't care. I'm not sure about the vibration though, but it does seem like a loose axle would do that. Get somebody who you know for a fact can do the job to replace it for you.

Lots of things can cause a vibration. One often overlooked problem is old bushings on the leading arm (aka brake reaction rod, tension/compression rod).

In what way are the axles loose? Are you grabbing the thin axles shaft and moving towards hub/away from hub, or maybe up and down? Or are you grabbing the DOJ cup and moving it either towards/waway from hub or up and down?

i grabbed by the hub (right next to the tranny) and pulled it up/down, left/right, and theres a slight bit of play in it.

Thing is though (what makes me think it's the axle causing the problem) is that before the axle was replaced, it didnt vibrate at all. I could be doing 110mph downhill and i felt in control, now i try to go 55-60mph and i can definately tell a difference... (like, time to take streets instead of highways from now on!)