Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I got a laugh from the dealer parts guy

today when I called out of curiosity to get a price on "new" (not re-man) front axle for my 85 wagon.

$299. plus change.

I asked him if he was serious.

He said "yes", but nobody buys them!

I said me neither!

Not sure if this is funny or sick or both.

What the heck are they thinking?

But seriously, after doing tons of reading here on the board, I'm thinking I wont go with re-man. I can afford not to, considering the price of (non-dealer) new axles.

I've checked out Ocala Inc, and CV.com or whatever it is.

My NAPA store has "new" axles from an outfit called "CARDONE"

Around $90 bucks. Are they any good? Experiences?

Thanks, Pyro

snap ring pliers: $10

CV boot clamp pliers <$10 for either style; i have both :)

axle grease: $4 ($.75 per boot change)

axle boot and clamps from dealer: $15-$20

(spare cage, ball bearings, and axle cup from junkyard: $10 or find a cheaper junkyard)

once you start fixing your own axles you will never go back to scrounging the junkyard. why spend twice as much time disassembling plus driving?

You can even leave the axle on the car and change boots but it's a great time to inspect your wheel bearings and shoot some extra grease in there if you take the entire axle out.

You might check out www.1stsubaruparts.com; check the website and you'll be surprised at the cost for axles. Not sure if they are new or re-manned since the site doesn't specify which. A quick 'phonecall to Jason (800#:) ) in parts should answer that question.

today when I called out of curiosity to get a price on "new" (not re-man) front axle for my 85 wagon.

$299. plus change.

I asked him if he was serious.

He said "yes", but nobody buys them!

I said me neither!

Not sure if this is funny or sick or both.

What the heck are they thinking?

But seriously, after doing tons of reading here on the board, I'm thinking I wont go with re-man. I can afford not to, considering the price of (non-dealer) new axles.

I've checked out Ocala Inc, and CV.com or whatever it is.

My NAPA store has "new" axles from an outfit called "CARDONE"

Around $90 bucks. Are they any good? Experiences?

Thanks, Pyro

I've had very good luck with CV axles of Ocala; best price for seemingly best quality re-man. I have had very bad luck with re-mans from a company called ARI. Best bang for the buck has been "judiciously selected" axles pulled from cars at Pull a Part.

I sort of consider this project a restoration. (with a lift and other customizations) The body and chasis on the wagon are near perfect. Zero rust. No way are junkyard axles going into her. I love her like I love my Harleys. I know, thats sick. But that's the way it is.

I'll always welcome the oportunity to save a buck if can, but it's not the primary focus. I have the dough to purchase "new" axles, instead of re-man, so, for the sake of my own faith in the vehicle, and peace of mind, that's where I'm looking.

I appreciate all the comments on various suppliers. It's all helpful information.

But also, has anyone had any dealings or experience with this "Cardone" outfit that NAPA gets there "new" axles from?

Thanks Gents,

Pyro

I use Napa reman'd axles, they come with a lifetime warranty and aren't very expensive after the deposit from the old one. If you break it, you bring it in, with a receipt and they give you a new one. And I beat the crap out of my axles, and have broken both front cv's, but only the ones that came on the car, not yet those reman'd ones, about 10 months on one too.

A1 Cardone is another company like Beck Arnley. They don't actually produce anything, they just buy up a lot of whatever and re-box it. I've used a few of them and they don't last any longer than my ARI's.

To be perfectly clear on this, I'm chewing up boots about every 6000 miles. This is due largely to the fact that I've got my suspension cranked all the way up and that my carb is running pretty rich.

I've had better luck with the OEM axles I've snagged out of wrecking yards, but not a lot. If it was me, I'd use CVaxles.com and not bother with Cardone, Beck-Arnley or ARI.

I have always run re-mans from my local Parts+ dealer and have not had any problems. I will finaly change one out on my sisters 93' impreza this week and it has been 8 years and and almost 110,000 miles since I last replaced it. It is starting to clunck and grind a bit. I think just because the grease has broke down and finnaly burnt-up. I have been running them in several other models also in all types of driving. I think it is all personal preferance. You got to do what you and your Soobie think is best! Good luck!

I sort of consider this project a restoration. (with a lift and other customizations) The body and chasis on the wagon are near perfect. Zero rust. No way are junkyard axles going into her. I love her like I love my Harleys. I know, thats sick. But that's the way it is.

I'll always welcome the oportunity to save a buck if can, but it's not the primary focus. I have the dough to purchase "new" axles, instead of re-man, so, for the sake of my own faith in the vehicle, and peace of mind, that's where I'm looking.

I appreciate all the comments on various suppliers. It's all helpful information.

But also, has anyone had any dealings or experience with this "Cardone" outfit that NAPA gets there "new" axles from?

Thanks Gents,

Pyro

if you wont use junkyard axles, but will consider cheap remans.. you might as well only buy the OEM axles.. i have had better luck with every junkyard axle (lasting loger than...) than the alternate parts store remans (almost every cheap reman has broken on me.. way worse than the JY axles! :eek: )

so... reccomended, if this is a restoration project.. get OEM new or reman... you cant beat the quality in my opinion...

Yet another plug for CVO (Constant Velocity of Ocala aka http://www.cvaxles.com).

Those guys are the absolute best. I will never buy another CV axle from anywhere else.

The proof:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=26646

Mr. Kevin and his band of minions know their schiatt. :D He (Mr. Kevin himself) had my axle rebuilt for me in less than an hour, and it cost me less than one from AutoZone. :headbang: