Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gen 1 Brat Questions.

I'm about to start doing some work on my 81 Brat, and I have a question on the hub interchangeability of them. Somewhere along the line. either a different axle or different hub got swapped into it and it grinds HORRIBLY in 2WD, but runs all right in 4WD. I'm sure there's a different size axle in there, but what about the hubs? I'm gonna head to the junkyard today and pull a set of hubs to be sure, but what year car should I be looking for? Any year wagon? Or a gen 1 Brat or wagon? Thanks.

any hub from late '77 to '79 wagon/sedan/coupe and late '77 to '81 Brats I believe. If you have a metal lathe and a welder, just mod some EA81 control arms to fit in. Basically you'd just need to make new stabilizer bars that are the same length as the stock EA71 stabilizers. I modded EA81 hubs/control arms/vented brakes into my '79 wagon and it wasn't too hard. If you'd like more info, just PM me and I can get ya some pics of the ones I made:D