Ultimate Subaru Message Board

installed a mbc and still only 6 psi

i put in a mbc 87 gl hatchback and there is no change in the boost on my boost gauge. the performance didnt change at all. i put it in the line coming from the front of the turbo to the wastegate on the side of the turbo. at frist i put it in line and left the hoses going to the shock tower.ran the same . then i bypassed the shock tower and still no change i made alot of adjustments each way.do i have it put in wrong or what. my boost gauge is t' into the same line. iam putting it in primer this week i must win the rust war. i will post some pics as soon as i get some batteries.

yes all of my hose clamps are tight. it is one of the ebay cheapos but the function seems simple .all i wanted was to add a little more boost nothing extreme i drive it everyday and it runs way to good to blow up. i would like to get 9psi out of it maybe 10psi if it will not burn the motor up.can you put this in backwards? air flows from the nipple on the front of the turbo to the wastegate right.i have a flutter sometimes when its up around 5-6psi.

it is one of the ebay cheapos but the function seems simple

this may be part of your problem, some of those are crap.

The adjustment screw on the ball and spring versions need to be cranked in quite a bit further than you might think. depending on the spring they used in it, there may only be a couple turns of the screw between say 6psi and infinate psi. Try turning it in further. You can take it off and blow through the "in" of the MBC while adjusting the screw to get a sense of when it starts to restrict airflow.

If you are uncertain about how these things work check out this sight

http://www.geocities.com/chmwatson/FAQs/mbc.html

garner