Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 2000 Legacy, 120,000 miles, 5sp manual transmission. Lately the transmission has been jumping out of 5th gear. The car shifts perfectly, no grinding, noise , difficulty changing gears or metal in the fluid. For the first 15 minutes or so after starting cold, the gear shift feels solid, but then it becomes all rubbery with noticeable movement in all gears and that's when it pops out of 5th every 10 or 15 miles on the highway(55-70 MPH.) The pitching stopper is tight. I'm considering an STI transmission mount, the stock one looks and feels like two gum erasers in a frame. Any ideas? I'm afraid it may be the mainshaft.

You may need to replace the syncro in it. Here is a link to a site that you could try to fix this by using their product before you take the tranny out. This product seems very interesting.

http://auto-rx.net/

Here is the instructions they give for a manual transmission:

Manual

The application ratio is 1 ounce of Auto-RX® per quart of oil. Drive 1,000 miles and drain the Auto-RX® and oil. Refill with the transmission oil of your choice. The application will last for the life of your manual transmission.

Mainshaft bearings could be the problem, though I would it expect it to jump out of first rather than fifth. And it would cause a significant increase in metal shavings in the oil.

STi tranny mounts will increase noise in the cabin quite a bit. You could just install stock new mounts, these will control movement better than those five-year old parts you have now.

Maybe you also need to replace the shifter bushings?

Which oil are you using? I am a big fan of Castrol TAF-X or "Syntorq".

Not to be a downer but I think the Mobil 1 is actually too slippery for the synchros to mesh properly. It could have been what destroyed them so early. It is why the Redline NS is prefered. Or castrol syntorq if you're loaded...icon10.gif...it's too expensive here Setright. What are you paying over there? Maybe you could import some to us all.

• 7 years later...

Hey all. I have a 98 Legacy GT and am currently having the same issue as helix did, but with some grinding while shifting into 5th. It looks like replacing the syncho is the way to go. How much would I be looking at for getting that work done? Thanks