Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Black RX #2 is now home...

...and she's not in as bad a shape as she looks.

Photos at: http://photobucket.com/albums/v504/xtacyturbo/RXses/

The front clip has been replaced and poorly repainted. The front fenders are rusted at the bottom, and the hood is in terrible shape. The inner front clip structure appears original, so it looks like they just replaced the sheetmetal.

Both doors are rusted at the bottom, the skin is peeling off the framework.

The decklid is even rusted- it's rusted through and torn under the center post for the wing. You can see sunlight coming through.

There is some primer in a couple spots on the body, also a dent on the right rear quarter and a small dent on the top of the driver's side C-pillar.

The interior is completely disassembled, but all the parts are present. The seats are shot to hell. If I were to sell the car, I'd stick some GL seats in there just to get by.

But... despite all this... the unibody of the car is in GREAT shape!! Virtually no rust on the unibody, ANYWHERE! The frame horns and the undercarriage look great, and the cubby holes behind the rear wheels aren't even rusted through. Very, very solid car. From the looks of the hang-on sheetmetal I'd expect it to be a basket case underneath, but it's actually one of the cleanest ones I've had.

The engine has a thrown rod and a hole in the block. Even though the car has been sitting for over a year, the engine turns over easily by hand! Even with the hole in the block, I have no doubt that this engine would run if the proper parts were reinstalled. A few external engine parts have been removed, but everything is accounted for with the exception of the A/C compressor.

With some reassembly and some new bolt-on sheetmetal, this could be a great little Roo. To top it off, I know where to get almost every body panel the car needs for under $150 total. Many parts already in black.

Hmmmm... decisions, decisions. Fix it? Part it? Sell it? Given how rare these black RX's are, I'd hate to see it stripped and scrapped- but, I'm moving in mid-June, and if the car isn't eithe drivable or sold within a month, I'm going to have to strip it.