Ultimate Subaru Message Board

First of Many EA81 ????

Well...spent the morning playing with the coupe..found some things that a 32K mile car shouldnt have. ..:( :( :( :( :(

Smokes like crazy...hard to tell due to wind if it was blue but it did seem abit blue...Pulled a plug and it was black and wet around the edges..I am thinking bad rings.Havent done a compression test yet cause I dont have the tools for it.

I have absolutly no knowledge of the EA81..just EA82.

I am hopeing it isnt rings cause I need this car on the road ASAP so I can fix Bucky.

The only thing worst than way too many miles, in my opinion, is too few miles. You will need to tune it up, complete. Cap, rotor, wires, plugs, PCV valve and ALL filters. Run an oil conditioner/engine cleaner through it. Chances are the seals may be a bit dry in the engine. If you change the oil and add the cleaner run it for the directed time and flush it out. It will require a little more than a case of oil and 3 filters for this process. Then once that is done you will need to drive it. The seals should soften and it should stop smoking.

Good luck Connie.

Thanks guys! I knew I could count on this board to make me feel better about things. I do want to save this motor...planning on a complete restore once my other car is ready to be returned to daily duty..and all numbers have to match to keep it authentic.

Will start with this stuff tomorrow.

I talked to the mechanic down the street...great kid ..knows a ton about Subies...He is going to stop by tonight after work and look at the smoking..he has a good idea what the problem might be..plus he said he just wants to drool over it:grin: . What a great kid..anyone ever need work done and wants an HONEST mechanic and ygou around around the Danbury CT area...Danbury Gulf...ask for Chris.

For figuring out what kind of smoke it is I go by smell before color. Smell like burnt oil? Smell like fuel? Smell like burnt coolant? That will clue you in faster than the color of the smoke.

Hope you get it all figured out.