Ultimate Subaru Message Board

SPFI - How fast?

Guest oobnuker

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bgd- the NA engine may well not make enough power to top your theoretical driveline all the way out.... it IS only 84 HP maximum stock.. sure its got a peak torque of 110 or something, but thats at 2000 RPM. you would certainly attain a higher speed than i did easily.. but the engine WILL reach a point where it will refuse to gain speed, if you gear it steep enough.it takes power to make inertia, the more inertia you want the more power you need.. and youve got to run dry at some point.

not trying to deflate your aim or anything, by any means.. the steeper gearing you install, the higher your top end will be, no doubt... BUT you may top out your speed before youve topped out your RPMs. you get my point? you could put a 3.0 final drive box into the car, but you will NEVER make it to 200 mph with only 84/11 hp/torque...

I love quibbles about factory numbers."Inflated" about a cars top end is for 18 year olds.My car is labeled wrong, speedo is wrong, the diff gear doesn't give results like a 3.9 is supposed to , my radio didn't even match factory color codes. I have learned the rear end missing alone on this so called 84 hp sedan is phenomonal. To understand with a common comparison.. turn on the a/c in an ea82.. feel how much it takes? Now consider the 4wd ..long driveshaft (hefty little bugger mind you)with a bouncing split in the middle to the rear end pumpkin with a side gear lsd stuff etc, two more transaxles and a couple of more bends wiggling around, never to be a straight easy line. Another point I can't emphasize enough is the egr stuff.That removed brought the little engine to 7000 rpm before I chose to let off... I called about a dyno test for the 2wd I am running. If the numbers end up the same, the curve to acheive them is no doubt faster- always affecting the other end of true power in the real world, substantially.Subaru and its documentation of the ea82 stuff is damn near dangerous in the case of my car. I have mentioned it already. The only thing holding me back from "needle buried" is my realistic fear that a 13inch tire is going to shred.I *have to* let off the throttle. The highest rating I found was 115mph. The ones I have are only 85mph.

The gl-10 turbo, by oem math, should be the fastest, but the rear end on normal terrain is a huge drag for 1781cc, turbo'd or not. The 2wd is a winner in the speed category, the differential needs to be taller to prove it.:)

• 6 months later...

Had my coupe @97 or so on flat ground (well kinds a lumpy) in a sprint against my friends Z28. I decided to let off as he was going around 110 past me XD. At that speed, the needle was still climbing steady. So, 115-120 seems plenty feasable to me.

• 3 weeks later...
I once got OUT of a speeding ticket by telling the judge that my speedomerter was off because i had on larger diameter tires on my Maverick. I did some math for him & we discovered that it was like a 9mph difference between what I THOUGHT I was going, and what he pulled me over for ... so the judge bumped the ticket down a notch & asked me if I was planning on going to Law School.

I said "Your Honor, I applied to Law School ... but then they found out my parents were married." He gave me a confused look for a second, then said it was time for me to leave.

... would it less off-topic if I made the Vmax pic smaller? heh heh .... :cool:

In California you get NO slack due to faulty speedo.

Well, my EJ22 is running on 3cyl's, so it's pretty close to the SPFI stock motor. I run 235/75 15's on it, so the spedo is way off. I drove down to Munson mass for a hillclimb event, and cruised down a lot of speed limit 65 highways. I assumed that the engine would be working hard to keep highway speed, so I had it pretty much to the boards the whole way down.

Lowest indicated speed:55

Highest indicated speed:75

I decided to draft my friends pickup on the way back, after I had told him that I had had to work the car hard to get it down there. So I ride his tail on the mass pike, but he keeps going soooo dang slow, 56 on my speedo.

When we head through the tollbooths, I take off and head home at my origional speed. When I get to their house, I unpack some of the gear and wait a while before they show up. I ask him how fast he was going on the mass pike. He said that he started at 65, and kept bumping it up to see if I could keep up. He had the cruise set at 72mph.

So 72actual / 56indicated = 1.285 conversion factor

75indicated x 1.285 = 96.4 top speed.

I wondered when all the beamers and mercedes were clearing out of my way....

1979 wagon with ea81 4sp dual range(from 81 brat( 90mph)

1985 carb wagon 115 down hilll...

1987 carbed wagon on 27s 75 on the speedo but that was on gravil...

i think any ea81 ea82 car can do 100mph with a properly running fuel system and a fee flowing exhost...

as for the newer stuff svx all the way. 100mph in almost any weather.... hit 125 on ice but it was -26F so it was as sticky as pavment. i love winter...:headbang:

Your US-EA82s are quite slow. I think your highway driving at low speeds (65 mph?) is responsible for that. Around here, every EA82, even the carbed ones reach 100mph easily, our EA82 MPFI (we have no SPFI) are even keen to go 112 mph. And the turbo-ones of course are another story... :lol:

Of course we are only driving this speeds on the Autobahn, on country roads you must not go faster than 60 mph.

Lukas

i would thingk 2wd tranies and 4wd trannies have a difference in gearing.

it seems any 4wd doesnt want to do much more than 95 naturally but my ea81 fwd 5spd wagon would sail along at 100 mph at 4000 rpms and evens o with a floppy carb and a blown head gasket

i did notice 2wd trannies seem ot have longer gears