Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help making my Soob feel better... :(

Hi All,

I have a '92 L series wagon. 1.8 EA82 Carbie. It is sounding like it needs some tender loving care. Spluttering, gasping for air, struggling to start in the mornings, etc etc. I have recently had it serviced and can't afford a tune up so I am looking for some cheap options to keep my baby running...are there fuel additives that can clean her up or would carbie cleaner help my cause?

Another issue is this dodgy "grinding" noise coming from engine. Changes with revs, and comes in and out. If anyone knows how a lawn mower sounds (like it is off balance or something?) then that is probably the closest description I can give you. Maybe we can suss it out with the right q and a's!

Any help would be appreciated. I need to keep her running til I buy the '03 REX wagon in October!! :):)

Thanks,

Nick:)

I tried some Slick 50 gas path cleaner. It doesn't do anything like the oil treatment, just cleans the system. My car runs better now that it has since I brought it home. It idles smooth, and is very quiet. It cost $10 a bottle but, you only use it when you do an oil change, mainly because it is easier to remember.

I am very impressed with it.

the grinding sounds kinda serious..... does it make that noise when you're sitting still, or only when you're moving? And are you sure it's carbie? they started putting SPFI in their cars in 88... but maybe it's because of where you live? I dunno... but my old 93 Loyale used to make a gridning noise too, but it didn't change with revs, and it only did it when sitting still. It was because it had no diff oil.. lol. Maybe it's the distributor making that noise? next time you hear the noise and you're sitting still, get out and look for the noise under the hood.

Jordan

The grinding is not evident when Idle, only when I give it some throttle. It's sounds sorta like something is vibrating off balance, v hard to explain without hearing it. Like when you spin a worn bearing and it rattles instead of actually spinning, like bounces around its axis. That kinda noise on a bigger scale!

Yeah I prob need to get it checked out but I dont wanna spend any more money on it yet!

Hi All,

Thanks for your advice, I wento Repco and picked up some oil additive (Slick 50 was $52.99 (ripoff) so I went for cheaper alternative) and carbie cleaner, both of which have given the Soob a new lease on life! She's idling more nicely and running more smoothly.

I also found out what vibrating noise was - just the exhaust pipe a little way back from the cat! Which is good news!

It is still back firing a bit when I let her drop speed while still in 2nd or 3rd, but not sure whether there's an easy way to fix that...

Thanks again :)