Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Intermittent wagon rear wiper

It noted in the owner's manual for my 88 GL wagon, that some markets had an intermittent rear wiper.

Can anyone confirm this & let me know what parts I'd need to wire this up?

We certainly didn't get in in Oz & it makes sense coz how often do you run with the rear wiper going all the time anyway?

i'd think that you could wire in a switched relay between the front wipers' intermittent circuit and the rear wiper's regular cicruit. turn on the front wipers and turn on the relay and you wouldn't need to have the rear wiper switch on at all. just make sure you wire it to the rear wiper's ON terminal and not the SQUIRT terminal!

yes, I've daydreamed about this for a while now.

I have never seen one, and have always wondered why it wasn't a standard equipment item.

Cuda, I once posted about splicing into the existing system, but was told it cannot be done (don't remember the reason given).

I do want to try this on my current project, using an independent circuit for the rear, and maybe use a rotary fan switch to select wiper speed.

If anyone has run both front and rear wipers on the same circuit, please share.

John

I asked the same question and was cautioned against overloading the relay, since it would be drawing from two motors. I really don't think it would be a problem and intend to try it..... when I can find the time. Sounds like a great idea to me, too.

In my application, I want to use the Legacy wiper stalks, which has the variable intermittent front wipers & the control for the timing is wholly within the combination switch.

This leaves the intermittent control box left over from the front wipers, & I was thinking about splicing it into the rear wiper "On" wire.

Do any of you know whether the Legacy wagon over there got the int rear wiper?

Oz wagons didn't, but my Jap import version had both int and on faetures for the rear (never used the "On" version though, except when the car did it itself in reverse when the front wipers were on)