Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lucky Running on all Fours!!!!

Just had to post quick!! Lucky is running on all 4 cylinders again!!:banana: Its sounds abit ticky but its running..still smoking alittle though not as bad though...Ran her for about a half hour then discovered an antifreeze leak..looks like its from the water pump..no biggy. Sea Foamed the carb..going to sea foam the crank case and keep running her for abit.

Also found the relay shorting out...its the power window switches.

OK back to work

Done for the day.. The coupe is making me very happy right now..I think once her exhaust is fixed and the gaskets and seals get back to normal she should be good to drive. Fixed some of the chewed wires..and I did take her for a small spin around the parking lot. She drives soooooo nice! Brakes were mushy but otherwise she drove great. Once in awhile the tranny starts to hum but stops when she is moving.

Bucky wasnt neglected today either..he got a new set of plugs,an oil change, and a new EGR sylinoid..The I drove him down the street and vaccuumed him out and he got a bath...He is so jealous of the coupe I had to pamper him too.(I think he was a Brat in a previous life cause sometimes he acts like one:rolleyes: )

I love my Subies!

So I guess this means you do not need me to take pics of mine tomorrow for wiring help?

What type of hum is the tranny making? Did you check the fluid?

I think I got the electricals all worked out..but thanks abunch!!!

Just a buzzing semi-whining noise....fluids were all fine...think its all cause the car was sitting

I added the seafoam on my Loyale with the oil change today..but before I just added it when the oil level was low.

I got if for around $5 yesterday..not to bad..running it in both cars now.

The sound may be the trans swapping fluids between the front diff and trans. Those seals are old and the problem is common in the 3spd automatics. I hope not but low mileage older cars have seal related issues quite often.

Drain both and look for thinning oil or oils that match in smell and viscosity.

Never heard of that happening, but I can imagine the havoc that would be wrought if those fluids were mixing.

Make sure the tranny fluid is redish and low in viscosity, and the gear oil is smelly and thick in viscosity.

If it is a louder higher pitched whine when first accelerating, it could just be a noisy pump in the tranny. which can happen from too little or too much tranny fluid (happened in my case).

Alex

The sound may be the trans swapping fluids between the front diff and trans. Those seals are old and the problem is common in the 3spd automatics. I hope not but low mileage older cars have seal related issues quite often.

Drain both and look for thinning oil or oils that match in smell and viscosity.

Mr.W is on the money.Connie,check the diff. dipstick for and reddish color.Should be honey golden.

I checked the fluids (about an hour ago) and they seem fine...tranny fluid red..dif fluid honey colored...no funny smells either...hoping its just lack of use...seems to shift fine. The sounds comes and goes also....but no grinding/clunking or banging noises.

If the tranny is bad..or going..Its my good excuse to do a 5 speed swap ( I hate AT with a passion). Wont do it unless this tranny is bad, due to the mileage on the car..wanting to keep it all original.....a swap will actually hurt the value of the car. But it all seems fine ..just an occational buzz that only happens when the car is stopped..while moving its fine.

I still LOVE this coupe!!!

When I tell you this you might want to change it out.

I have 217000 miles on mine with no maintenece (not counting the fluid I had to add when I had to replace the radiator or when I had to change hoses). It still shifts firmly with no slushiness, but the gears are wearing out and wine like the reverse gear on a manual.

You might get very old waiting for it to fail if yours wears anything like mine did.

Goodluck.

Alex

Howdy...regarding the mix with red /honey my DL just started doing this....iam screwed i can smell the diff on the tranny stick....(excuse me but this site is X-rated lol)....the only thing that i know of is to get another tranny.....

iam at 224500k as of today.....and of couse i find out today ive blow the left head gasket....this is my lucky day............spark:banghead:

Are you checking the auto trans fluid by doing the following? (Suspect you may not be, so you are under/overfilled.)

Engine running, run thru all gears pausing for a moment at each one going up and down. Return to park, leave car running, and carefully check fluid with car at idle wiping off dipstick and checking fluid with a dry dipstick. If overfilled the car will make funny noises and whine. I check mine after a 30 minute drive as it gives a better indicator of smelly fluid when you pull the dipstick out the steam will "reak" badly on a worn transmission.

Make sure to chock wheels and maybe even have a trustworthy friend or family member do the "driving" while you check you dont want to get run over by your own car. I saw this happen at a convenience store once and I dont think the TV commercial where the boyfriend/husband got run over by his signficant other is very funny anymore. :(

Trans takes Dexron III, not plus, not anything just cheap dexron red fluid. Dont put any additives in to try to fix these either, it wont help.

If youre fluids are still fine then just drain the front differential, put new of that in and drive the car. Thats really whats going to help this little gem, lotsa driving around. Sitting isnt what a car is meant to do.

I am dying to hear why overfilling causes it the pump to whine. I have been curious since it happened to me.

The 3AT isnt as bad as people say it is. The average life expectancy of a auto tranny is 70k-100k miles before needing a rebuild. As I am sure many will say, these are good for about 200k miles. Pretty good for all the abuse the trannies suffer at our daily driving.

Alex

Are you checking the auto trans fluid by doing the following? (Suspect you may not be, so you are under/overfilled.)

Yes I am... I have been doing the tranny fluid check thingy for a long long long time. I just have a very bad taste for ATs after haveing to pay $2200 for a rebuild on my (EWWWW) Taurus. Plus ATs are doggish and you dont have the control in bad weather etc like you do with stick.

But I agree..this car just needs driven..its just not quite ready yet...and I want to drive it bad!!! But soon. I am also trying to prepare myself for all that will go wrong once it does start getting driven..all those lovely dry rotted things like hoses and belts and seals...oh the joy!:rolleyes:

My 66 Mustang i had sat for 10 years and it was a nightmare for the first 6 months of getting it road worthy