Ultimate Subaru Message Board

It's done. It's over.

Oversteer+not being on go pedal=RX into tree.

LF inpact. Fame bent. Windsheild toast.

Its over. It's gone.

Intense :(

EDIT:

1987 SUBARU 3 Door RX 4WD TURBO...

I found it in the back of a used car lot...rotting away, counting its days until it finally got sent off to its junkyard or crusher death...until one day, I spotted it from a far. After a few months more of waiting...it was in my hands. Shortly thereafter...Pleiades (Steven Rankins) and I restored the car back to near perfect running condition...few small things here and there...but otherwise it was great. Pleiades and Dr.Biggly took it to the 2003 Grassroots challenge and did very well in the Autox, ok in drag, and ok in the show portion. 36th or so out of 70+ cars was not bad. In the meantime...I continued working on the wagon, purchased a 2.5 RS sedan...pleiades fooled with the RX some...etc etc...I sold the RS to pleiades, and then i purchased all of the RX's plarts along with it...after 2 engines in a row the wagon ate through...the RX was in line for some go fast parts.

The RX loved it. It responded well to all the mods...set records, turned heads, it got me places, it got great gas mileage. my only two issues: no cruise and no power door locks. Little things like AC and lesser cargo room than the wagon were overcome...summer comming up, the AC was an easy fix. As of yesterday...the RX was in showcar condition and had near perfect handing and adequate power for its weight. It was ready to dominate some autoxs...

Then, I screwed it all up....or either the RX said "enough is enough!" Either way, I know I messed up.

JWX and I (Myself driving) took it out for a little shakedown run before filling it up with fuel for cornerweighting setup and some dyno runs...we went down a little twisty section, one that I drive every day usually 2~3 times, forwards and backwards...at a moderate pace...say, 6/10ths...in the last 100 yards of the road, literally...the rear steps out, and I make the mistake...no go pedal...instead I'm still on the brakes for the stop sign ahead...curb and trees rapitdly aproaching...I get it to full lock right in no time...starts to strighten...too late. BAM, curb...BAM-crack-snap-pop-glassbustingsound-thump, off the curb...the left front eats a tree. Quick "WRC get out look at damage and get back in and make it to service" and we are in motion. Tire is going down...crap, the hood flies up. There goes yet another windsheild, and the scoop is crushed.

After getting the fender off, and the battery out...the frame is pushed into the 2-4 side camgear, its amazing the belt didnt snap off. the rim is curbed badly...possibly bent. Everything suspension wise looks fine.

Ofcourse, the fender is toast, bumperbeam, absorber, cover, turn signal assy, headlight assy, radiator is warped and the fan got pushed into it (its a rare thick 2 row rad), the air dam looks ok but it got ripped from its mount..the trim peice is ok, clips got ripped up ofcourse.

But the frame...its...found some rust in it, and it just collapsed and bent. I dont think there is any straightening it.

There are no more covers/abs/beams left in the country, no are they avalible, so there is no OE fixing this. There are no parts car around to fix it.

It's just....gone....and its time to move on.

DSCF4109.JPG

The wagon is going to return.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn man, that sucks bad. Ive only had mine for like 5 days and im already attached to it, i cant imagine how bad this has to suck for you.

lol subaru styles....

what are you thinking asking about parting it out at a time like this....

what do you expect his to say? huh? So, What are you going to say WJM?

cough cough it was cough subaru styles idea first cough

:D

I had the same thing happen to a friend of mine that had a 1988 GL. He just had a little too much oversteer and he tapped the brakes by accident. Sending him 180 degrees in the air into the ditch. Luckilly it was totally fine besides a little dent.

Picture.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=3729&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

But I see how your situation is much different. Your car was ridiculously nice. I'm sorry it had to go. I always liked the saying "Everything happens for a reason." Maybe something even better will come along.

hell ide say fix it. i wish i still had the pics of my wifes 97 plymouth breeze when i bought it last year for $500. it looked way worse than that and the frame was swayed to the side about a foot back in the front. i just pulled the hell outta it with my van i had and got it almost straight and kinda counterset everything else so it looks straight..

i say fix it!!!!!!!!

Its done with, the older subaru frames are very weak and once you wreck them any more than moderate pulling them back is not wise or safe since the metal is very fragile and weak, not to mention it will never have the same chassis ridgitity as before so handling will suffer.

Sorry to hear about your loss, I have tons of understeer due to my air ride, not as fun but safer in the long run.

If I were not in such a bind right now (3 dead vehicles, no drivable vehicles, and all) I would seriously be considering donating my dead RX to ensure that your RX project lived on.

Go ahead and focus on the wagon- but promise us you'll make it even more badass than the RX was. Consider it the RX's dying wish. Tonight I'll drink one for your RX. May it rest in peace.

man that car is soooo fixable..if you'd seen some of the unibodies the body guys down here have straightened out...most important step after straightening is cutting out the parts of the metal where the metal dented in at the bend, usually the point of impact but not always, and replacing it with good sheet metal and or good piece from another car weld that in replace lights radiator etc and the car is as good and strong as new..