Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru brat charging problem

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got it back together, I put the other other alternator in it and it works fine now, no fluctuation, output is at about 14.5 volts.

so I have one alt. doesn't charge, one with a messed up regulator and one that works fine, the one that was origonally on it.

so having those two on there damaged them somehow? the one was brand new, and the other worked fine before I put them on.

Nothing we did testing them could have damaged them. I assume the one that has the slightly high output voltage is the new one. I would see if you could return it for a replacement. You will then have a good spare unit on hand.

nope, the one that has the high, fluctuating output is the one out of my loyale.

the one that doesn't charge properly is the new one. I bought it the 25th and it failed already.

the one in it, which is the one that works fine, is what I had in it when I started to have this problem this time. I had replaced the origonal one a year ago when I had this problem before. replacing it fixed the problem that time.

I am going to try to take the new alt. back for a working one on monday.

I didn't think I could have damaged them

It's not likely that the alternator failed while you were testing/checking. Take it back for a refund or exhange. The only thing I know that will wipe an alternator is an open circuit in the battery while the engine is running. I had an intermittant open in a new battery that took out two alternators on me before I found the cause.

nope, the one that has the high, fluctuating output is the one out of my loyale.

the one that doesn't charge properly is the new one. I bought it the 25th and it failed already.

the one in it, which is the one that works fine, is what I had in it when I started to have this problem this time. I had replaced the origonal one a year ago when I had this problem before. replacing it fixed the problem that time.

I am going to try to take the new alt. back for a working one on monday.

I didn't think I could have damaged them

It's not likely that the alternator failed while you were testing/checking. Take it back for a refund or exhange. The only thing I know that will wipe an alternator is an open circuit in the battery while the engine is running. I had an intermittant open in a new battery that took out two alternators on me before I found the cause.

what are the symptoms of an intermittant open? other than blowing out alts?

The two alternators just quick putting out any voltage. Battery looked entirely normal until I had a meter on it and was wiggling the one terminal and noticed the meter reading drop to zero. I had a devil of a time convincing the parts shop that the battery was bad (only two weeks old also) since it didn't always fail when I wanted it to.

what are the symptoms of an intermittant open? other than blowing out alts?