Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Holding up an Intercooler

This post is for those that have installed an intercooler on their EA81Ts and EA82Ts.

What did you folks do to get your intercooler to hold up instead of falling down? I need my intercooler to sit higher so that it's almost flush with the back of the hood (a little room allowed for engine movement). As it sits now, it keeps falling backward and the air won't be forced to go through it (at least not as much as I'd like). Any advice?

Don't know it helps at all since I'm using a different IC than everyone (I think) but I actually used two brackets with rubber bushings to hold mine up. One is bolted through the old spare tire holder/turbo heatshield thing. The other one is bolted through the top/back of the engine bay where the hood closes down. Hard to explain so hopefully these pictures will help a bit. Mine moves with the engine but just barely. I also sealed the hood so when it shuts it seals the scoop around the IC and forces the air to go through the IC instead of around it.

recirc2.jpg

icmeetsgask.jpg

This is excellent! Thanks all for your replies. These pieces are what I need. This is something that I need. Where can I get those pieces? What are they called? Looks like rubber would be in contact with the intercooler to hold them up. Can you fab these pieces and sell them?

Heres my mounts. I have it sitting pretty high, plenty of room under the IC for a fan if I want to mount one under the IC.

DSC00434.sized.jpg

DSC00433.sized.jpg

-Brian

• 6 months later...

Bump! I am still having this problem. Trying to get a piece to hold the intercooler up without having to bolt to the intercooler itself. The back of the intercooler is hitting the base of where the tire would sit. You can hear it hitting during startup. :banghead:

I'm trying to be creative and think of some type of something that has rubber or something soft to hold the intercooler up itself.

Hmm the redneck in me says if you need to hold it up without bolting to it...how about some pieces of old radiator hose cut to whatever height, and standing up, then glued/held down to the spare tire mount somehow. Should provide a pretty soft yet somewhat stiff mount below it. I'm always thinking redneck and what I have around in my shed/storage room downstairs.

I dont know the term for the pieces I used. I just used some metal I found at home depot. I used my bench vice and clamped the metal into it then bent pieces into 90 degree bends.

I was lucky that my Intercooler had 2 mount holes in the rear. I had to make one of the holes in the metal alittle larger, but then I was able to screw the metal to the IC and i used self tapping screws (some large ones) to mount the metal to the spare tire holder.

What intercooler are you using?

-Brian

i have weekends off starting next week, so if you want to come down one day on a weekend we can put something together no problem. can't imagine it would take very long....except the drive is annoying of course.

Yeah, I'm thinking it shouldn't take to long as well. I was thinking of some 'L' shaped metal piece with a rubber piece inside. I dunno! I don't mind the drive or stopping down. I like driving and knowing that 'Scrappy' can take such a drive. He's ready for it. :)

What intercooler are you using?

-Brian

It is an intercooler that used to come with the Ludespeed turbokit for the Impreza.

mini-IntercoolerInstalled.JPG

the bracket/bolting on part is definitely cake. start thinking how we'll attach it to the intercooler, that's the only part a little up in the air, but it can't be that hard. i can also be home from work around 3pm in the afternoons some days, so i could meet you through the week that way too.

right now i think Sunday afternoon is mostly open after 1ish.

the intercooler should be somewhat isolated from the motors vibration by a flexible joint or a long enough silicone hose section. then make solid mounts to the body of the car.

your intercooler has no mounting points? thats odd. if thats the case then you need to make a "cradle" for it.

I wish I could post some pics of my intercooler setup(and participate a little more in this discussion:( ). I have a A/C condenser fan from a Honda Civic mounted underneath my intercooler. I have a Mitsubishi Starion intercooler, setup in a top mount configuration, and the fan is what holds the IC up. But that will change as soon as I get back as I have an OEM IC from a Supra that I am going to use to build my FMIC setup. :brow: Patrick