Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82 crate engine ?

Have a question out there.:confused:....the hornet's heads are toast period....Ive changed my mind about selling the hornet and want to repair it for a back up car...incase my primary car( Legacy wagon breaks down:rolleyes: )

iam thinking about putting a crate ea82 engine in the hornet....the engine has around 40k on it...

1)....lets say i put the engine have the engine installed with just the standard instalation kit...............

would i have major gasket probs early on?????

2) is it wise to replace all gaskets and seals prior to instalation?

as also all fluid pumps,belts ect.......

3) if i would to go ahead and choose to repair the hornet....

can anybody recommend a soob shop that won't rip me off.....:)

or is there anybody LOCAL/SEATTLE that has done this and is experience enough out there that would want the job of instalation and replacement of gaskets ,seals,pumps ect..... spark

Have a question out there.:confused:....the hornet's heads are toast period....Ive changed my mind about selling the hornet and want to repair it for a back up car...incase my primary car( Legacy wagon breaks down:rolleyes: )

iam thinking about putting a crate ea82 engine in the hornet....the engine has around 40k on it...

1)....lets say i put the engine have the engine installed with just the standard instalation kit...............

would i have major gasket probs early on?????

2) is it wise to replace all gaskets and seals prior to instalation?

as also all fluid pumps,belts ect.......

3) if i would to go ahead and choose to repair the hornet....

can anybody recommend a soob shop that won't rip me off.....:)

or is there anybody LOCAL/SEATTLE that has done this and is experience enough out there that would want the job of instalation and replacement of gaskets ,seals,pumps ect..... spark

Ok from what I have learned about subaru engine's esspecially the ea motors is they allways leak sooner or later and the lifespan of the seals is usually around 60k, so given your crate motor has 40k on it, is it origional? Or was it built a short time ago, this matters since seals and gaskets harden up over time, so low milage doesnt allways mean no worries ;) I would highly advise a complete OEM reseal of the motor before dropping it in to make sure you dont run into problems down the road and when the engine is out of the car is the best time to do it. If its an EA82-T then I would STRONGLY advise changing ALL coolant hoses on the motor. Trust me I know this from expiereince ;)

Anyways good luck with your project.

wow!!! Only 40,000 miles??? I'd love to be there. I'm at 248,000 and expect another 100,000. To answer your question.... If I had the cash I would first want to know how the engine ran without replacing anything and then if it ran well I would replace the following: new oil pump, new water pump, new front seals and the rear main seals, new timing belts, all new radiator hoses. While the car is out I would make sure the seal is good for the cam cover, new oil pan gasket, new thermostat and gasket, I'd also use this time to put new oil filter and change the oil to a good synthetic oil (like amsoil). Why the engine is out I'd inspect the half shafts really good and check out the boots on the cv joints and replace them as needed. Now would be the time to look at the clutch and cables too. I hope that helps and I hope the real actual miles are only 40k.

boing

Returned to topic.

Brian still does motors(on the side). I suggest you go talk with him. Or if you'd prefer I can do it for you. You'd end up with a new in spec rebuilt motor.

Let me know what you want to do.

Ken,,,i talked to Brian (subaru guru) about a yr ago...he told me that if i got a crate engine he'd completely do everything for about $1900....thats just to much....

but then again..if your going to do it right.................what choice do i have..

also...iam not sure about this..but i think iam cross/bleeding on my diff/tranny fluids....is there a way to make sure this is true?????

---------------------------------------------------------

Boing;;;;your japanese crate engine runs around 40 to 50 orig miles when they are imported from japan.....

japan has stricked epa standards gas engines have to be replaced between 40k/50k....iam a import broker one of my accts (can't mention) imports container loads of japanese engines/trannys into the usa ...they test them before selling them to the buyer.....

there are lots of companys the import japanese engines/tranny's ..scads of em.....spark