Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just a friendly reminder from your best bud down here in Florida..

In the futile process of trying to find the source of my oil leaks, I decided to just do everything. Valvecovers, front main seal, all oil pump o-rings/gaskets, and a right long bit of cussing. Here's some handy tips to help you survive:

Please yall, this is NOT how you install a front main seal.

imagedump-092.jpg

And no, I didnt do it. This is the view that greeted me when I removed my crank pulley. Next tip:

Those of you with an EA81 with solid lifters, please dont forget to adjust your valves at least once every 15 years. :rolleyes: The specs for the EA81 are .010" intake and .014" exhaust, measured cold.

imagedump-091.jpg

In my case, ALL the valves were >.022, but with the exception of the intake on #4 was correct at .010. All the adjusters were tight.. just way the heck out of spec. Oh my god, what a difference it makes in the sound of the engine. Now it sounds like a finely tuned sewing machine instead of a small displacement diesel. I spent four hours soaking the valve covers in gasoline/PB/soapy water and scraping trying to get the old cork gaskets off. Apparently they were OE, and had been on for the life of the engine. They came cleanly off the heads, but had "bonded" themselves to the covers. Wasnt that a biach! Next tip:

Since summer is upon us, dont forget your bug spray. Cant have them nasty mosquitos giving you West Nile now can we?

imagedump-093.jpg

Right on. Since I was attempting to avoid the squall lines passing through my part of the state all day with the same forecast tomorrow, I ended up staying up till now: 0130a to get this done since right now theres clear skies. With all the rain, the mosquitos didnt get a chance to feast on me like they usually do in the evening. Boy were they pissed, and came out in force after 9pm when the rains stopped. I put on three coats of this sweet 100% deet formula repellent, which just so happens to be called "100% DEET". When you apply it, your skin experiences a warming sensation.. kinda like standing in front of the microwave with the door open. :D I may get skin cancer from this nasty chemical, but believe me, those lil bastards didnt get a single bite. :headbang:

So, that just about rounds up tonights batch of friendly tips from the florida boy.

I must now go back outside to turn off the Brat, which has been running for the past 30 minutes, verify that nothing sprang a leak, clean up my tools, get a shower, and hop into bed.

Hell yeah, rock on, live long and prosper. :cool:

All of the above items that I replaced, you can still get from Subaru. I didnt like the idea of paying $7 per side for the valvecover gaskets, or $19 for a front main seal, or $35 a oil pump o-ring kit. I ended up just going to my friendly Advance Auto (O'Reileys, Kragens, Schucks.. all the same thing) and bought all the above parts for $22. All Beck/Arnley brand. Doing so saved me a weeks worth of waiting for the parts to arrive at the dealership, and about $50.

Oh yeah.. another tip: Always check your work!

Why? Thats the only way you'll know how bad you fscked up whatever it is you were trying to repair. :lol:

Seriously though.. I wasnt paying attention to detail last night adjusting the valves. When I went out to shutdown, it was tapping worse than ever. After removing the 2/4 cover this morning, it turns out I forgot to tighten the locknuts sufficiently on the #4 cylinder, and the adjusters had halfway backed themselves out. :eek: I erred on the side of caution and removed the 1/3 cover again and rechecked all the way around 1-4 for tightness and specification. All is well now.

... I spent four hours soaking the valve covers in gasoline/PB/soapy water and scraping trying to get the old cork gaskets off. Apparently they were OE, and had been on for the life of the engine. They came cleanly off the heads, but had "bonded" themselves to the covers...

They make a gasket-remover spray that works pretty well.