Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Water Pump and BIG Thank You

I was just being nosey and called the local parts store about a water pump for my sweetbaby GLF..told me that there are 2 different pumps..one with a 2.4 shaft to the pulley and one 2.5 (?)...Is there a difference?? Are they interchangable? Just curious in case I grab a used one somewhere.

Of course the parts store didnt have either in stock and the guy had me repeat 3 times what kind of car it is for.

I know the EA82s have two different pumps, one for factory A/C and the other for no A/C (or dealer A/C), and as long as you have the right pulley with the proper offset you can use either. But I'm not sure about the EA81 stuff, maybe its the same, or maybe he looked up the wrong car. :rolleyes:

Gary

EA82 has two types; EA81 has only one. Parts store didn't look up proper year or engine type for you. My offer of a water pump is still available.

I was just being nosey and called the local parts store about a water pump for my sweetbaby GLF..told me that there are 2 different pumps..one with a 2.4 shaft to the pulley and one 2.5 (?)...Is there a difference?? Are they interchangable? Just curious in case I grab a used one somewhere.

Of course the parts store didnt have either in stock and the guy had me repeat 3 times what kind of car it is for.

Thanks everyone for their help with my waterpump issue! I got one in the mail today from McBrat!!:banana: You all the very bestest bestest best..I can't even put into words how much I appreciate everything and all the help you have given me. Moosens, McBrat, edrach,Turbone,Hocrest,LeakingOil,Seahag78 and anyone I didnt mention ( I am sorry) you all have kept my beloved cars afloat even when I couldnt afford it. You all have gone above and beyond to help. This is actually bringing tears to my eyes.But you all need thanked too for more than your help with my cars...but also for the emotional help you have given me.

Makes me just want to say..I Love You Guys! and everyone here..

• 3 months later...

Ahhhh,so that's what happened.....or is the water pump on the GLF one that someone else did?

Yes,I need that larger double pulley...looks almost like it could be a triple pulley form the power steering,W/P,A/C and alternator.I'm flipping a lot of rubber around there.I tensioned them up nice the other night and the outer A/C driver hits that bell shaped pulley of the water pump and makes the A/C belt make Three Stooges noises....but hey,fall is here.Just getting the last of the warm stuff now.

Connie,do you have those valve cover gaskets around?

Paul,

if that's the water pump I sent her, it should work. sounds like you are missing the bottom tensioner pulley???

I've never seen a water pump with the double pulley...

Ahhhh,so that's what happened.....or is the water pump on the GLF one that someone else did?

Yes,I need that larger double pulley...looks almost like it could be a triple pulley form the power steering,W/P,A/C and alternator.I'm flipping a lot of rubber around there.I tensioned them up nice the other night and the outer A/C driver hits that bell shaped pulley of the water pump and makes the A/C belt make Three Stooges noises....but hey,fall is here.Just getting the last of the warm stuff now.

I have one! (1988 w/ "inside" alt and "outside" AC)

Is this on an EA81 or EA82? All the EA82s have the double-belt water pump pulley (That way, if either of the belts breaks, the water pump is still driven and the engine doesn't overheat. Brilliant!) I have yet to see an EA81 with that setup, but they may be out there.

Paul that water pump matched the one removed perfectly..maybe it had been switched sometime before...LOL..I never use AC so I never even thought to check to see if anything was rubbing..or if it even worked:-\ . I have never even used the AC on Bucky and I have had him officially 2 years now..I just know that he squeals when the Defrost is on....hopefully that will be fixed this weekend.

I have the valve cover gaskets handy...no problem.... Also picked up a palm sander so I can get started this weekend maybe on getting that fender done for you

Paul that water pump matched the one removed perfectly..maybe it had been switched sometime before...LOL..I never use AC so I never even thought to check to see if anything was rubbing..or if it even worked:-\ . I have never even used the AC on Bucky and I have had him officially 2 years now..I just know that he squeals when the Defrost is on....hopefully that will be fixed this weekend.

I have the valve cover gaskets handy...no problem.... Also picked up a palm sander so I can get started this weekend maybe on getting that fender done for you

You squeaking on Bucky is because the defrosted also uses the A/C....pop the hood,hit the defroster and go see what's happening.It could be the idle pulley is frozen,or sticking.

OK back to Lucky Le Coupe...yes,it sounds like I need some pulley or something....basically the belt furthest forward (A/C) rubs agains the bell shaped pulley of the W/P.The way I looked at it,if that W/P pulley was a double or so it's work perfect.I've owned and worked on these EA81's with eh power steering,A/C,and Alt. belts before.I just can't remember another pulley to keep the A/C belt off the W/P pulley head.

Hey Connie,can you toss me a set of those EA81 valve cover gaskets (cork) that I hooked you up with?Mine are all buried,but you knew that.;)

Lucky Le Coupe will be in the house Saturday.If I get time I'd like to do a valve adjust.

Hey Connie,can you toss me a set of those EA81 valve cover gaskets (cork) that I hooked you up with?Mine are all buried,but you knew that.;)

Lucky Le Coupe will be in the house Saturday.If I get time I'd like to do a valve adjust.

Done..Have the valve covers upstairs and waiting for you. Picked up some blue goo also (gasket sealer)

I might run up to Lucky and start hugging her or something ( I miss her)...maybe I can sucker you in to letting me take her for a spin since I never did get to drive her:)

Paul, what kind of bracket does the AC compressor use to mount up...

I've seen a few different kinds. the one I most see, is a complete one piece unit that is cast iron, and has 2 pulleys for the AC. a fixed pulley below the compressor and towards the center of the vehicle a tad. and the adjustable one for tightening the belt, to the left of the alt...

if you have that set-up, and the bottom pulley is missing, I have a spare :)

none of the set-ups I've had ever had the double pulley on a ea81 waterpump...

got any pics?